Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Jardines or Meyers

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Jardines or Meyers

Postby Cozzy » Tue May 25, 2010 12:04 pm

As a senegal owner, I believe both Jardines and Meyers are very similar to Senegal. After reading the information on the internet, I skill can't frigure out the differents.
Does anyone have experience with all Senegal, Jardines and Meyers?

P.S. My dream bird is Cape....However, it is not possible to import one to Hong Kong.
Cozzy
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Budgie
cape
Flight: Yes

Re: Jardines or Meyers

Postby Michael » Tue May 25, 2010 12:36 pm

Meyers are obviously smaller but their temperament is supposed to be gentler and more quiet than Senegals. Jardines are bigger than Senegals and more frightful I think. Probably similar or louder than Senegals. So basically Meyers is an easier version of Senegal while Jardines is more size/sound but still less aggression. I think Senegals (and Red Bellies?) are the more aggressive Pois.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Cozzy » Wed May 26, 2010 12:40 am

If the Senegal is more aggesive than other pios. What make it the most popular pios? Easier to breed?
Cozzy
Conure

Budgie
cape

Postby Natacha » Wed May 26, 2010 6:42 am

I don't think Senegals are necessarily more aggressive. I think a lot has to do on the owner and how they educate their bird.

Out of my four Pois, my Senegal, who I had as a baby, is the sweetest, calmest and less aggressive of my birds.
My Red-bellied, who could be consider as another "aggressive" Pois (compared to others) would come second to my Senegal. He also happened to only have one previous owner who did teach him relatively well (he was definitively nippier with me when he first came here but that has mostly stopped).

My most aggressive birds? My two Meyer's, who, by reputation, should be the sweetest. But it makes sens to me...Petey was tossed around and the first owner I know of (which is not o say his first owner) just abandoned him during a nail/wing trim for being too aggressive. Which leads me to believe he didn't really do anything with Petey to teach him otherwise. As for Zuri, in the first year and a half of his life, quite an important time for development if you ask me, he didn't really have anyone there to properly educate him (circumstances being what they were). I feel with Zuri that there is no basis on which to build on, I had start from zero and he is getting better.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby Cozzy » Wed May 26, 2010 7:17 am

How old were Petey and Zuri when you adopted them?

Because the second question is weather getting a 3 year old meyers or 1.5 years old Jardines or a younger Jardines?
Cozzy
Conure

Budgie
cape

Postby Natacha » Wed May 26, 2010 7:47 am

Cozzy wrote:How old were Petey and Zuri when you adopted them?

Because the second question is weather getting a 3 year old meyers or 1.5 years old Jardines or a younger Jardines?

Petey was 13 or 14 and Zuri about a year and a half.

It's not to say that all rehomes will behave that way, far from it. Some people rehome perfectly well adjusted birds because of other personal issues. And any bird can be worked with, some just take longer than others. One thing is for sure, you need to work on trust first. A bird who's past experience have been harder might not trust as easily while a bird who's been very well treated before might trust more easily. It was much easier for me to gain Joey's trust than Petey's and this does not surprise me. The advantage with getting an adult bird over a baby bird, you know what you are getting and what you might have to work on if there is anything that needs work. Babies will always be sweet and how they turn out as adults has something to do with how you'll educate your baby.

I would say meet both birds first, see if it "clicks" more with one or the other. Each bird has it's own personality.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby lzver » Wed May 26, 2010 7:54 am

I wouldn't say that my Senegal is aggressive at all. Jessie definitely went through 'the terrible twos' and went through a nippy period, but he's almost 4 years old now and he is the sweetest bird you could ever ask for.

My Red Belly definitely went through an aggressive period of time around 2 years old, but now that she's almost 5, she was over that long ago.

I don't have a Meyer's or a Jardine's to compare.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers

Postby Cozzy » Wed May 26, 2010 9:36 am

I reckon once your get your first pios.....you won't be get other birds.....that is y i m considering to get another pios, considered poinus, amazon......they just didn't feel right
Cozzy
Conure

Budgie
cape

Return to Parrot Species