Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Baby Umbrella Cockatoo opinions please :)

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Re: Baby Umbrella Cockatoo opinions please :)

Postby Bear » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:01 pm

mandyaquawk wrote:Rescue an unloved unwanted Umbrella Cockatoo instead. Just saying.

I would never buy a dog from a breeder... I would go for the one nobody wants and save them. That's just me...

I can appreciate that but I would never take on an older bird again. Once, or rather twice bitten...third time shy! I have done this twice in the past and this time I'm starting off with a blank slate and not spending all my energy sorting out someone else's problem. I know it sounds harsh to some but for once I want a pet that I can just enjoy without sorting out issues! :) Plus I have a baby grey and wouldn't trust a strange older bird around him, two babies together I can deal with!

Plus my dogs are from breeders, but I'm breeding myself, it has a purpose if improving the breed's health/ working career/ conformation and so on. There are many unscrupulous breeders who will breed anything with anything for money, or not neuter their dogs and let them roam and get pregnant, but all breeders aren't the same. My argument would be if people bred responsibly and there weren't unwanted litters left, right and centre, there wouldn't be so many unwanted crossbreed and mongrel dogs in shelters and so on in the first place, because it really is such a shame and so heartbreaking to see. I have pre orders for my pups, and always would take back an unwanted one.

I admire people who take unwanted animals and have done so myself with horses, birds, ducks etc, but for this bird I want a baby! Espec with such a big bird like a Cockatoo :)
Bear
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 8
Types of Birds Owned: 6 month old African Grey
4yr old female Vosmaeri Eclectus
6yr old male Vosmaeri Eclectus
2 month old Umbrella Cockatoo
Flight: Yes

Postby Titanius » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:22 pm

I have a very off topic question but where do you live? You said you have a hunting lodge which makes me think Africa .....
Titanius
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel

Postby Bear » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:19 am

Hi nooo its not a hunting lodge! The opposite, a game reserve....we are about conservation not hunting! :)
Yes South Africa, we run a lodge here in a 85,000 hectare game reserve, it has everything and particularly good lion, ele and wild dog sightings :)
Bear
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 8
Types of Birds Owned: 6 month old African Grey
4yr old female Vosmaeri Eclectus
6yr old male Vosmaeri Eclectus
2 month old Umbrella Cockatoo

Postby Titanius » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:27 pm

Oh sorry ,that's wonderful. Must be quiet a place to live.
Titanius
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel

Previous

Return to Parrot Species