Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Kakapo

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Kakapo

Postby Kathleen » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:27 pm

Kakapos are the largest (unflighted) parrot in the world. They are also critically endangered.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8281382.stm

Check out this interesting and funny video clip where one of these parrots starts trying to mate with a British actor named Stephen Fry, as him and a zoologist search for the species in New Zealand.
Kathleen
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Flight: Yes

Re: Kakapo

Postby MissLady9902 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:11 pm

They're also called owl parrots! I think it would be cool to own one but during their mating season their call is a booming call and they do it for 8 hours straight!
Cool cool parrots!
Cathy

Busy beaks are quiet beaks!

:senegal: - Noodle
:gray: - Marvin
MissLady9902
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: A Senegal and a Congo African Grey
Flight: No

Postby MandyG » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:52 pm

Check out this interesting and funny video clip where one of these parrots starts trying to mate with a British actor named Stephen Fry, as him and a zoologist search for the species in New Zealand.

:lol: Funniest thing I've seen all day! Poor thing looks so happy!
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon
Flight: Yes

Postby jigglesmax » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:47 pm

I loved the video. XD

And I remember in 6th grade, my friend and I had a fundraiser for kakapos! We raised about 288 New Zealand dollars, which I think was enough to vaccinate a kakapo or something according to the website we sent the money to. It was funny since nobody knew what a kakapo was. x]
jigglesmax
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: No

Postby macawlover2 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:33 am

Ahh, the confused kakapo... :lol: What surprised me was how tame it was! I can't believe a wild bird like that would so willingly come up to people. Poor guy must be so embarassed now that the video has spread across the country by now.
macawlover2
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Military macaw, Blue and gold macaw, and a congo african grey.

Return to Parrot Species