Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

What Bird Should I Get?

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

What Bird Should I Get?

Postby Nummy » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:32 pm

Hi I am very interested in getting a bird I am a huge animal lover with three dogs (who will have no contact with the bird) guinea pigs, stick insects and more I have always had a love for birds but the timing has never been right until now. I still go to school from 8:30 till 3:30 but after that I will have the bird out with me until the birds bedtime. I am not sure what bird to get I love senegal parrots and think they might be a good choice? Before I get any pet I always do as much research as I possibly can to ensure the right choice is made and I would love to get people on here’s opinion. :senegal:
Nummy
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: What Bird Should I Get?

Postby Pajarita » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:53 am

Welcome to the forum! Now, the thing is that, during the winter, the bird will have to pretty much go to bed at 3:30 pm because they need to eat their dinner during sunsent and go to sleep right after.
And you will not be able to interact before you go to school because it's also dark in the am.
Senegals are not really very good birds for newbies... they are very loving birds and highly intelligent but they can also be very hard biters when not happy (and the bird will NOT be happy alone all day long, they need hours and hours of one-to-one attention) and a bit unforgiving of mistakes (it took me 3.5 years to get a senegal that had not been treated right in his previous life to stop attacking me every day and several times a day). I suggest you wait until you have more time and will have more time for the next 20-30-40 years to have a single bird that requires your personal attention. What you can get is a male/female pair of an aviary species like cockatiels, beebees, plets. You might not achieve the kind of pet relationship you can with a senegal but they are all wonderful pets!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: What Bird Should I Get?

Postby tommythomas » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:07 pm

My situation is the same as Nummy, due to workload sometimes I don't have a reasonable amount of time to look after other pet. But I do have time to look after my cat, and the cat does not need so much time to look after them. They are quite independent and can do a thing on their own. I try to reduce my workload and planning to have a good work-life-balance soon.
tommythomas
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: No

Return to Parrot Species