Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

My Senegal appears Bored . . . .

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

My Senegal appears Bored . . . .

Postby PatrickAlan » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:31 am

My female Senegal (2-years old) I've owned since she was 3-months old. Currently, after observing her on a daily basis, it appears to me that she is perhaps bored, sad, depressed, because she just is non-engaging. When she is in her cage, she does not engage with toys at all. I just put 2 new toys in her cage, and she always has balsa wood to shred. However, I just do not see her interested in anything. While she is eating, she is also screaming. I have never seen this before. Every 5-seconds, while eating, she screams out. She is out of her cage 3x per day. Even with me, all she wants to do is sit on my shoulder, she doesn't appear to like to play outside her cage either. For such a young bird, I am genuinely concerned. Any recommendations are certainly welcomed. Thank You in advance.
PatrickAlan
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Male Gouldian Finches, and 1 Senegal Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: My Senegal appears Bored . . . .

Postby Pajarita » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:32 am

I've had three female senegals and, in all honesty, I've hardly ever seen them doing anything at all with toys. The male chews a lot during breeding season and a bit the rest of the year but the females are pretty much shoulder birds that like to take flights every now and then so her not playing with toys (no parrot actually 'plays' with toys, what they do is either chew or redirect aggression) is not unusual. Having said that, mine never looked bored or depressed. They are great fliers that like to zoom from one spot to another, they preen, they bathe (badly, they end up with only a wet face), they forage, they nap and they love spending quiet time on their human.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Re: My Senegal appears Bored . . . .

Postby PatrickAlan » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:31 pm

Hello Bea - I had sent you a message months ago, never got a reply, so figured you had just disappeared from the Forum. So, it's nice to hear from you. JoJo continues to be JoJo. She has new toys, and does nothing with them. Lots of balsa wood in her cage, and chews it some days and forgets about it very quickly. You and I know what JoJo is like "on my shoulder" - and Yes, she will continue to bite my earlobes - so her being a "Shoulder Bird" is really out of the question. Inside her cage she will Scream and Scream and Scream, even while she is eating. She is fully flighted, so outside her cage she will take flight around the room and land on top of her cage, but yes, I'm sorry, but she just sits there looking sad and depressed to me. She is a very INACTIVE bird and I'm not sure why. I watch lots of videos of other Senegals on Facebook and wonder why can't my Senegal be like that - they all appear to love to play. So I'm not really convinced that Senegals don't like to play with toys. This little female of mine is very very unique.
PatrickAlan
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Male Gouldian Finches, and 1 Senegal Parrot

Return to Parrot Species