Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

African Greys with other parrots

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

African Greys with other parrots

Postby PatrickAlan » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:09 am

I am looking to hear from owners of African Grey parrots who also have other parrots in the home.
Do you see that this is a problem? Looking to get some good advice, as I am contemplating getting n African Grey and currently own a Senegal Parrot. Thank You.
PatrickAlan
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Male Gouldian Finches, and 1 Senegal Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: African Greys with other parrots

Postby Pajarita » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:14 am

I have a gray but she is with the large species birds, not with the little ones. You might have a problem with just a senegal and a gray because the gray will want to be on your shoulder for hours and hours and the senegal will end up attacking it. Sennies are very, very possessive and jealous little birds, Patrick. They are not the 'sharing' kind :lol: Also, you had issues with your senegal, didn't you? Are these solved? Because one of the problems was that you had not allowed her shoulder time so if you now allow the gray to be on your shoulder (and you will have no choice about it because that's what grays love most of all and need to be happy), you will have a royal battle on your hands and two unhappy birds.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby PatrickAlan » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:06 am

I do agree that it may be a "balancing act" indeed. JoJo has come around ...she is out of her cage more fand getting shoulder time .... She seems alot happier to me, and is more content. Which makes me happy.
PatrickAlan
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Male Gouldian Finches, and 1 Senegal Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:48 am

Well, yes, of course she is happier now! She was not getting any shoulder time and that's why she was biting you every chance she got. Sennies are shoulder birds (my Zoey Senegal is on my right shoulder right now) and grays are shoulder birds big time so that's a problem. Especially since senegals are completely fearless and can be aggressive. You might want to consider another species, one that is more independent and does not require shoulder all the time... like an adult amazon, for example. But make sure it's a female and not a male because they can be very aggressive.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Parrot Species