Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Help with my new budgie

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Help with my new budgie

Postby dvalland » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:36 pm

After doing some research I decided a little over a month ago to purchase a 3 month old male english budgie. He was hand raised and is very tame. He steps on my finger, stands on my shoulder and I can touch him all over (if he is in the mood to be touched :D ). I don't really have any bad habits to complain about! However, I am a bit concerned about how quiet and inactive he is. I expected him to be to be quiet and in shock for the first few weeks but its been about a month and a half and he is not really opening up at all. He gets a lot of attention and gets out of his cage daily but just kind of sits there no matter if he is in his cage or out. In his cage he basically stays in one spot and makes very little noise. He also always seems sleepy... Does this sound normal for a baby budgie? From what I have read they are very active birds. Like I said at first I just thought he was adjusting but now i am getting concerned . Thanks for your help!
dvalland
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: English Budgie
Flight: No

Re: Help with my new budgie

Postby Michael » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:48 pm

It could be a sign of illness, only a vet could answer that. Otherwise, it just sounds like two things:

-Lack of enrichment. Either not enough toys or just so happen not to interest the bird very much
-Lack of companion. Often when we see really active budgies is cause they are amongst others of their kind. This doesn't mean to run and get it a mate but could just be part of the cause.

Also, is this mellowness only at certain parts of the day or all the time? Even my Senegal Parrot sits pretty quietly from 11AM till about 5PM. She only gets active in the morning/evenings. So are you sure you're not just catching the budgie during its down time?
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby dvalland » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:13 pm

He pretty much just stays on this one perch all day. I have tried every toy imaginable and he is not really interested in them. I think that I will take him to the vet just for my piece of mind, but he really doesn't seem sick. Maybe he is still depressed that he is alone. He was with his 2 sisters when I bought him. I really would like him to bond with me so I did not want to get another budgie but I guess I would consider it if he remains this unhappy. Thank you for your help!
dvalland
Parakeet

Postby Kim S » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:37 am

Don't forget that there is a big difference between the 'normal' budgie and the English, or showbudgie. The latter are very mellow and laid back. Especially males are very easy going.

That said. He should be doing the usual male budgie stuff right now. Bobbing his head up and down against the bars or a toy. Tapping his beak against the bars or toys. Jabbering to himself or a toy. Fluffing up his headfeathers to impress you or a toy.

Is he showing other signs of not feeling well? Funny looking poop? Dirty bottom? Sneezing or dirty beak? Ruffled looking feathers?
Kika: Senegal Parrot.
Guus: Cockatiel, Yellowcheek, cinnamon, pearl, pied.
Kim S
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal (1)

Postby myakando » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:06 am

I think it's a wise idea you'll be taking him to the vet :thumbsup: Please keep us posted ;)
myakando
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 11
Types of Birds Owned: Umbrella cockatoo, Goffin's cockatoo, Severe macaw, Red Fronted macaw, Peachfaced lovebirds, Fisher's lovebirds and cockatiels

Postby dvalland » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:58 pm

Asti, my budgie has a clean bill of health! He also got a new friend so he is much happier. Last week I came across someone rehoming a 6 year old green cheek conure because the owner had health problems. I went to go see her and fell in love! She is fitting in great and Asti loves her company. They chatter back and forth to each other and are allowed out together for supervised playtime. The conure, Gigi, has been with other birds her whole life and is really getting along well with my budgie. He is so much more talkative and lively now that he has a friend. Thanks for the help!
:budgie: :swaying:
dvalland
Parakeet

Return to Parrot Species