Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Other Poicephalus Parrots

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Other Poicephalus Parrots

Postby Michael » Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:56 pm

Obviously we all know that Senegals, Meyers, and Red Bellies are common poicephalus pets. But what about the other kinds?

I think I've heard of Jardine's Parrots as pets but not sure. Apparently they are great talkers. Really pretty looking bird.

I've heard of Cape Parrots in captivity but otherwise know little about them. Just how big are they? What do they usually run?

Anyone know much about the Brown Headed Parrot? Rüppell's Parrot? Yellow-fronted Parrot? Niam-niam Parrot?

Natacha, you going for all (what is it 9?) flavors of Poicephalus?? :senegal:
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Other Poicephalus Parrots

Postby Natacha » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:58 pm

I think the Brown headed Poicephlalus are more readily available in aviculture than the Cape parrots. I'm in conversation with a breeder for a female Red-bellied baby at one point and she has Brown headed parrots and wondered if I would be interested in one of those. Not right now.
I know of one breeder here that has Rüppell babies from time to time.
I don't think I ever heard of people having Niam Niam or Yellow fronted parrots in aviculture.

Cape parrots go for a lot here. $2800 CAN, but again, I think there are only two breeders here and they can charge whatever they want since they are so rare. Size wise, I think they are similar to Congo African Greys, maybe a bit smaller. I do want a female at one point.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Re: Other Poicephalus Parrots

Postby pchela » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:44 pm

You can get a Cape here for around $1500. Here is Texas. We have one that boards at our store and he is a bit bigger than a Congo Grey with a huge beak. His colors are very subtle but quite beautiful.

Jardines are gorgeous birds! They are about the size of a Timneh Grey... maybe a bit bigger. They are about $650 here.

Brown heads are very plain looking and smaller than the Meyers. Sweet little birds.

The Niam Niam and the Yellow Front are not seen in aviculture at all in the U.S. and Canada, not sure about Europe. The Ruppells is extremely rare in aviculture here... I've not seen one in person but they look beautiful in pics. They are supposed to be the size of the Red Bellies.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Return to Parrot Species