Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

anyone else out there with pionus?

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

anyone else out there with pionus?

Postby Athena&beepbeep'smom » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:12 am

I'm just wondering who else on this forum has Pionus? I have a young white capped and we're making pretty solid progress in some areas and struggling in others I've done a lot of research both before I got her and since but there's just not as much detailed info on them as there is about some of the more popular companion parrots. I'd love to have one or two folks with some experience to talk to about things that have and haven't worked for them.
Athena&beepbeep'smom
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: White Capped Pionus, Pacific Parrotlet
Flight: Yes

Re: anyone else out there with pionus?

Postby Rue » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:41 am

I have a white-cap! He's 5 years old and he was our first larger parrot (after having cockatiels for many years). We got him as a baby. He's adorable. I've had no issues with him (*knock on wood*).

He's not a big talker, but he says 'Good boy' 'Good girl' 'Good bird' and his own name in 101 different combinations...it's pretty cute. He also makes a series of sounds, he coughs, wolf-whistles, barks, hacks...he scolds the kids and the dogs...

I'm more than happy to help if I can, with any questions.
Every parrot has a duty: To reduce the world to toothpicks.
Rue
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels -2 hens
Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped
African Grey, Red-tailed (CAG)

Postby HyperD » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:29 pm

Taming and training is generally the same between all parrots. What are you having issues with?
HyperD
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal

Postby Athena&beepbeep'smom » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:06 pm

Well I'm not sure if I'm having issues or if I'm just being impatient. She's a 7 month old baby afterall. 1st they're supposed to be soo quiet & she is way better than she was 3 months ago but she's prone to screaming. I think she got into bad screaming habits at the breeder where we got her. They were great but the pionus babies were surrounded by much larger louder birds and the people were responding every time the babies yelled so all 3 were screachy when I met them.

2nd even though she's getting better with the flight suit and is totally dependable in stepping up and cries out for attention and rubs and has recently graduated to taking food from my hand she's still wicked flighty and nervous at times. The other day she let me roll her over on her back in my hand and then rub her beak and head and then 2 mins later totally freaked and flew off yelling because I moved my arm to scratch my nose while she was on my shoulder. Were yours this nervous? And am I doing something to over stimulate her? Should I not keep her out as long or do it more and longer to get her used to things? She's really great and sweet and learning fast but she gets nervous soo easy.
Athena&beepbeep'smom
Lovebird

Postby Rue » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:43 pm

Don't reward the screaming. Always do a subtle check to make sure she's not screaming for a valid reaon...but otherwise ignore her.

If you do have to interact with her while she's screaming, try whispering to her. Hopefully she'll stop screaming to hear what you're saying. When she's quiet...reward her.

I find that all my birds need time. Don't push her to do too much too soon.

My guy was very quiet when we got him (10 weeks old). He was like a parrot statue. But it didn't take him too long to settle in. I'd say by the time he was 5 months old he was doing really well. He startles a bit easier than the Amazon, but not as bad as the AG...

Also, don't over react to their reactions. They take their cue (whether to be calm or excited) from the rest of the flock. If you stay calm and steady, they're more likely to be calm and steady. It's a form of modelling.

...works with dogs, kids and horses too...;)
Rue
Poicephalus

Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped

Postby Athena&beepbeep'smom » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:23 am

Thanks for the advice. I hadn't considered that. I probably do over react a bit when she freaks out. I don't raise my voice at he or anything but it does make me nervous so I'm probably acting nervous. First of all she's very different from others I've had and doesn't respon the same way to things so she makes me nervous. Second I'm always afraid if I don't get her calm fast some one in the apartment will complain (though they never have and everyone there asks about her and loves when I go outside with her). Maybe if I worked on my demeanor and ignored her outbursts instead of actively calming her things would get a bit better.
Athena&beepbeep'smom
Lovebird

Postby Rue » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:32 am

Alternatively...I also have 'screech sessions' for the birds. Normally when I'm home alone with them and no one can see me...

I sing, dance, make a fool of myself. The birds love it. The pionus and the amazon especially - they get incredibly noisy. The AG not so much, but she gets excited as well...as do the cockatiels.

A few minutes of all-out noise and flapping and they seem quite happy to settle back down and enjoy a quiet day. I think they need an outlet for just being a bird - and if you orchestrate it when it's convenient for you (and your neighbours) they're less likely to find their own time to engage...
Rue
Poicephalus

Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped

Postby HyperD » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:41 pm

I tend to just ignore them.... She only really makes a lot of noise if she wants attention and she needs to learn that screeching will not get that... nor will flying round the room and zipping past my head...

Although I may try the letting it all out method... If anything more for me to let it all out too :D
HyperD
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal

Postby Athena&beepbeep'smom » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:27 am

I hate that zipping around my head thing, especially when she slaps me upside the face with a wing "accidentally." Thanks for the advice. We are actually doing a bit better, even managed to teach her to come when I called her name earlier this week. (yay for small victories.) And I've tried being calmer with my voice and demeanor and ignoring the outbursts, seems to be reducing the noise some. Another thing I'm trying to do is predict some of the noisy behavior and pre-empt it. For instance as soon as I'm awake in the morning she starts screaming for me to come in there. So now instead of doing a bunch of stuff first I go straight in there before she knows I'm up and starts yelling and i go ahead and feed her and handle her a bit. That way I don't get stuck in this dillemma where I either have to let the screaming go on and get louder and louder or reinforce the behavior by going in to calm her down. She just never gets started.
Athena&beepbeep'smom
Lovebird

Postby Rue » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:46 am

I'm glad it's getting better! You'll have it all figured out in no time!

The other thing I've heard about (but I haven't tried it) is giving them their bath first thing in the morning (weather permitting). Since most birds are noisy when the sun rises...bathing then also gives them an outlet for their exuberance.

I'd be reluctant to do that here...it's quite cold, and I'm a bit parnaoid about chills...but if your apartment/house is on the warm side (and draft-free) or if it's very warm where you are, it might be worth trying.

Do you take them in the shower with you? That's easiest...but my guys hate the shower...they prefer to be misted...
Rue
Poicephalus

Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped

Next

Return to Parrot Species