Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

When does a rosella become wild?

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

When does a rosella become wild?

Postby lol » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:14 pm

Hello.
Im posting this because I heard that rosellas, if not interacted with very often, will become wild again.
At what age does this happen ussualy?
thanks!!!!!!!!!!
lol
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Rosella
Flight: Yes

Re: When does a rosella become wild?

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:59 am

I think we might be having a confusion in terminology... A parrot that was hand-fed and imprinted to humans will never become 'wild' because the window of opportunity for that to happen is long gone (they need to be wild-parent raised for that). BUT a hand-fed, human-imprinted bird that has been severely neglected or abused can become disaffected and even human-aggressive. And there is a big difference between the two. A parrot that was neglected (not allowed to comeo out of its cage, not handled daily or treated with love) can become disaffected and that means it will not go to a human but will not attack it (I have two IRN's like that) but a companion parrot that was either severely neglected (living all alone in a small cage for many years, given the wrong food, etc) or physically abused can become aggressive and go out of its way to bite people. I have a male amazon that used to be a pet for its first owner but was punched by its second (the man admitted to me that he 'took his fist' to the bird every time it bit him) that no longer attacks me or my husband but he is not really people-friendly. And I have a male senegal that was caged for many years without coming out (also because of aggression) that has also stopped attacking people but is also no longer very friendly to humans. Now, I do not try to make pets out of these birds but with A LOT of work and patience, they could be brought back to being pets - up to a point because parrots are forgiving but they don't forget.

So, it's not corellas, it's all parrots and the severity of the 'unhandeability' depends on the species (corellas are toos and all toos can bond very deeply but they also need A LOT of time spent with them), the gender (if it's the dominant, it's harder) and the length and type of neglect/abuse they suffered. Basically, what I am trying to say is that it's a case by case basis type of thing and that ALL birds can re-learn to trust humans but some might not want to love a human again.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Parrot Species