Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Thinking about adding a second bird

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Thinking about adding a second bird

Postby keen_peach » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:34 pm

Hey all! So I currently have a baby rosy Bourke, she's such a great bird, and I've really been wanting to get a second bird. I'm leaning towards either a GCC or a lovebird, but I had some questions. I absolutely would NOT house it in the same cage as my Bourke, however, would it be ok to have them out at the same time in my room for supervised interaction? I'm a college student, not in a dorm, but I don't have the time to spend hours with both birds individually. I can spend a lot of time with them if they could be out at the same time. If it's not possible for either of those options to coexist with the Rosy Bourke while supervised, does anyone have other suggestions? I was also considering a cockatiel or budgie, but I'm concerned about the health effects of so much dust in my bedroom, and I'm not a huge budgie fan. Thanks so much! :gcc: :swaying:
keen_peach
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Rosy Bourke
Flight: No

Re: Thinking about adding a second bird

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:51 am

Welcome to the forum! Now, for a bourke, the only good companion would be another bourke because they are an aviary species. As to a GCC, if you don't have hours and hours and hours to spend with a single bird, then I am afraid that a GCC is not the bird for you UNLESS you get two because GCCs are almost as needy of company as a cockatoo. You also mentioned a cockatiel or a budgie but I am afraid that they are also from aviary species so, again, they need to be kept in pairs for a happy and healthy life (only companion species do well on their own with a human and that only if the human spends many hours with them).

Now, it is possible for birds of different species to bond to each other but the thing is that you can't really predict with any degree of accuracy if this will happen... Let me put it this way: if you get a male and female of the same species, if it's aviary, they will always bond. If they are companion, it depends on the species, the age, the background and the expertise of the owner in getting them to bond. So, on a scale of 1 to 10, a male/female aviary species is a 10 while two unsexed birds of different large companion species are a 1, two similar species (like conures or amazons, for example) are 8 to 10. It all depends on the species, the gender and the human knowledge.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Parrot Species