Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Indian Ringneck noise level?

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Indian Ringneck noise level?

Postby torii » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:23 am

Hello, this is my first post so forgive me if I did something wrong. Anyways, I am interested in getting an IRN, but I am concerned about how loud they can get. I can deal with constant screaming, but I'm not sure if my family members will be able to. How loud are they? :irn:
torii
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: Yes

Re: Indian Ringneck noise level?

Postby Pajarita » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:07 am

Welcome to the forum! I am afraid that if there is somebody in the family that does not like loud noises, a medium to large parrot is not the best pet for this household.

There are possibilities: cockatiels, parrotlets, budgies, lovebirds, beebees, etc. But there are a couple of VERY strong caveats! They need to be small aviary species and they need to a male and female bonded pair, they need to be fed correctly (never free-fed protein) and kept at a super strict solar schedule. Why? Because if you keep them at a human light schedule or feed them too much protein, they will become overly hormonal and scream all the time - and because if you don't keep a bonded pair, the bird will call incessantly during breeding season in order to find a mate (nature made procreation the strongest drive there is in the universe).

People talk about 'quiet' parrot species but this is relative to other parrot species (a moluccan cockatoo's calls are as loud as a 747 plane engines) and ONLY when they are kept happy and healthy and, for that, you need a strict solar schedule, the right diet and keeping them in bonded pairs.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Parrot Species