Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Jardine or Pionus or Caique as the new parrot to adopt?

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Jardine or Pionus or Caique as the new parrot to adopt?

Postby HyumWakdu » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:58 pm

Hello! I am a person who raises parrots in Korea. In Korea, not many people have large or rare parrots, so I sign up for information and write the first words. But I am not good at English, so I wrote the original text in Korean, translated it into Google, and modified the text a little. There may be a lot of errors. Please don't be offended by my poor English.

I'm thinking of adopting a new parrot, but I can't decide which species to choose. I'm still searching for Jardine, Pionus and Caique parrot, but I haven't found any difference that will help me decide one of the three.

I know that personality is really important to parrots. We're still collecting a lot of information, but there's too much conflicting information. So I would like to ask a question to anyone who can generalize a species based on experience.

Pionus: I've heard that they're known to be very docile and afraid. According to the information on the Internet, Pionus are lazy and less greedy. They are curious, but often say they tend to be independent and focused on their own business. I've heard that some people don't like to have contact with people around them or talk to them, and that they smell something that they might not like.

jardine: I hear they are steady, calm, talkative, screamless and intelligent. But some breeders have heard that African parrots are more likely to die as babies, and if that's true, it's a bad thing. (I wonder if it's true or if you have the knowledge to do so can significantly reduce your chances of dying.) They're very intelligent, but they're very likely to be one-person birds.

Caique: I've heard that they're energetic, inquisitive, playful and comical. But they are often noisy and need more affection than the other two birds. They have a combination of colors that are so beautiful, but his little body acts as a pretty big disadvantage to me.

Conclusion: I like Pionus because of its beautiful feather color. Jardine is a little bit more intelligent, tolerant of contacts, and likes it because of his slightly larger body size. I like Caique because he likes cute looks, good social skills, and contact very much. But most of all, I want to make a decision based on my personality. What's the difference between Pionus and Jardine and Caique behavior? I like contact, but I want an independent parrot while alone. Also, if possible, I want a large, but apartment-breeding parrot. Please help me make the final decision!

Below is a list of questions I've written to ask the breeder, and what I want. If you have time, please read it and let me know if there is a parrot that fits my question. I need information! Help!

Is this parrot social training available? I want a parrot that can stay safe with all the members of the family, not just a bird for one person.

What is the average weight and size of this parrot? There was always a hope for a big parrot. I want to adopt a huge parrot like Macaw, but it is difficult because of real problems such as space and noise.

Is this parrot quiet? It's okay if they don't shout often, even if they have a big voice. Is there a repeatable, steady noise?

Is this parrot more likely to die as a baby? The charm of a parrot is important, but I want a parrot to be with me for the rest of my life. I want to avoid parrots that are sensitive to stress and can easily become unhealthy.

Is this parrot good for contact? I don't want a lot of contact, but if it's weak and avoidable, I'll lose interest first.

Can this parrot spend time alone? I have to leave for a few hours a day. During that time, you should be a parrot that can enjoy your own time without being troubled by separation anxiety

Is this parrot good at talking? Speaking isn't something I care about, but being a good speaker is a good thing that no one can deny.

Can this parrot mix well with other parrots or animals? I plan to raise other animals in the future. I want to avoid birds that can be especially sensitive to other animals.

Can this parrot teach tricks? I want to strengthen my relationship with you through trick and make their life interesting.

Does this parrot generally have a bite tendency? Some parrots I've raised asked like they would kill me with a huge beak. I really don't want to relive that experience.

Can this parrot go out at an early age? I heard that some species are more likely to die when they are young. I would not do it if I put too much stress, but I still want to go for a walk from a young age for social training.
HyumWakdu
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Flight: No

Re: Jardine or Pionus or Caique as the new parrot to adopt?

Postby Pajarita » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:26 am

Welcome to the forum and don't worry about your English, it's fine. Now, as to
your questions

HyumWakdu wrote:Conclusion: I like Pionus because of its beautiful feather color.

Actually, the only pionus species that has a plumage that one would call colorful is the blue-headed. The rest are actually mostly drab - not that I think they are ugly or even drab! I had a bronze-winged that I thought was absolutely beautiful but their beauty is very subtle and would never be called colorful.

Jardine is a little bit more intelligent, tolerant of contacts, and likes it because of his slightly larger body size.

Jardines are bigger than caiques but smaller than the blue headed pionus.

I like Caique because he likes cute looks, good social skills, and contact very much.

They are pretty but I have two of them, a black cap and a yellow thigh and neither likes contact too much.... and I don't know what you mean by 'social skills' but neither is very good with other birds.

But most of all, I want to make a decision based on my personality. What's the difference between Pionus and Jardine and Caique behavior? I like contact, but I want an independent parrot while alone. Also, if possible, I want a large, but apartment-breeding parrot. Please help me make the final decision!

All three species are considered 'independent' in that they are not really very cuddly but no parrot does well alone - all species are highly social and need company all the time to be happy and healthy.

IIs this parrot social training available? I want a parrot that can stay safe with all the members of the family, not just a bird for one person.

There is no such parrot. They are all one-person birds.

Is this parrot quiet? It's okay if they don't shout often, even if they have a big voice. Is there a repeatable, steady noise?

All parrots are very noisy when unhappy - even the ones that are considered 'quiet' parrots but, in my opinion, caiques are worse than pionus or jardines.

Is this parrot more likely to die as a baby? The charm of a parrot is important, but I want a parrot to be with me for the rest of my life. I want to avoid parrots that are sensitive to stress and can easily become unhealthy.

All parrots (all animals, actually) are sensitive to stress and they all suffer from it because the conditions in a human home are very unnatural to them but whether a parrot dies young or not depends on the parents, the breeder and the husbandry of the keeper. And all species are the same when it comes to that.

Is this parrot good for contact? I don't want a lot of contact, but if it's weak and avoidable, I'll lose interest first.

I am no sure what you mean by this. The species you mentioned are not considered cuddly so if that is what you want, they are not for you.

Can this parrot spend time alone? I have to leave for a few hours a day. During that time, you should be a parrot that can enjoy your own time without being troubled by separation anxiety

Again, there is no such parrot. They all need company and suffer when they are alone.

Is this parrot good at talking? Speaking isn't something I care about, but being a good speaker is a good thing that no one can deny.

Can this parrot mix well with other parrots or animals? I plan to raise other animals in the future. I want to avoid birds that can be especially sensitive to other animals.

I've had pionus, caique and jardine and none of them interacted with other species.

Can this parrot teach tricks? I want to strengthen my relationship with you through trick and make their life interesting.

All animals can be taught. I don't agree with training them to perform tricks because it's too hard on them and totally unnecessary for their happiness but they can all be taught.

Does this parrot generally have a bite tendency? Some parrots I've raised asked like they would kill me with a huge beak. I really don't want to relive that experience.

All parrots bite. It depends on how you treat them whether they want to do it or not. If you had parrots you raised that wanted to bite you, it was something you did or did not do that provoked them.

Can this parrot go out at an early age? I heard that some species are more likely to die when they are young. I would not do it if I put too much stress, but I still want to go for a walk from a young age for social training.

Actually, I once read that most parrots born in captivity die before they are 2 years old. As to going out... do you mean taking them out for a walk? If so, you should wait until the bird is an adult because it's too stressful for a baby to be exposed to an unfamiliar environment.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: Jardine or Pionus or Caique as the new parrot to adopt?

Postby HyumWakdu » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:55 pm

What a kind people here! Thank you very much for your kind reply. I've posted this question in different communities in different countries and I've been able to decide based on that information. I finally decided to adopt Jardine. Let's get ready to welcome a new family! Thank you all in Korean 감사합니다 여러분 좋은하루 되세요~!
HyumWakdu
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Flight: No

Return to Parrot Species