Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Kili subspecies?

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Kili subspecies?

Postby Michael » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:41 pm

Hey, can anyone help me determine what subspecies of Poicephalus Senegalus Kili is? It's the one thing missing in her little parrot profile box in the left hand column on the trained parrot blog. Please let me know what subspecies you think she is and why (possibly with sources for comparison).

I hope these pictures help:

Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Kili subspecies?

Postby fratonio » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:36 pm

Beautiful photos. You must be professional.
fratonio
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Postby Kim S » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:12 pm

Theres the senegalus senegalus or the yellow vest senegal. And the senegalus mesotypus, the orange vest senegal. (plus the senegalus versteri, the red vest one, but I think we can rule that out).

From the pictures she looks very yellow, but with an orange tinge. I know that some breeders crossbreed the orage and yellows. So who knows. She might be 80% senegal and 20% mesotypus.
But then again, I just spoke to Kika's breeder today and he told me Kika is very deep orange for a mesotypus. So maybe your organge/yellow Kili is a mesotypus too?

I'm realy sorry that this is a dutch site. But it has a very clear coloured picture of what the vest colouring should be per subspecies:

http://www.poicephalus.nl/soort%20seneg ... pegaai.htm
Kika: Senegal Parrot.
Guus: Cockatiel, Yellowcheek, cinnamon, pearl, pied.
Kim S
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal (1)

Postby pchela » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:23 pm

I'd say Mesotypus . The Senegalus has no orange at all on its chest and Kili seems to have a bit of orange. Pippin has a much more orange chest than her but it probably just varies from bird to bird. Also, the Senegalus is supposed to be much more vibrant in its green and yellow colorings than the Mesotypus.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby Michael » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:27 pm

Most of those are her Juvenile pictures. Do you suppose that makes any difference for subspecies identification or not? I can try to take some deep focus new ones later if I can and think about it some more. Can you still tell subspecies in immature Senegal Parrots?
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby pchela » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:32 pm

That's a good question. As far as I can remember Pippin has had his deep orange coloring since I got him at 6 months of age. Of course, memory can be faulty. A current photo of Kili would probably help with identification.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Return to Parrot Species