Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Indian ringneck?

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Indian ringneck?

Postby issy » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:24 pm

Hello, I am thinking about getting an Indian Ring neck in a very far away future.

Does anyone on the forum have one? I wanted some first hand knowledge on their behavior and temperament.

Also if there are many differences with males and females.
Image- Sheldon

Image- Evey
issy
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow Lorikeet
Sun Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: Indian ringneck?

Postby TheNzJessie » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:11 am

what sheldon doesn't keep you busy enough? :) indian ringnecks have never intrested me btu all i remember from my friends on is it was really smart but very stubborn.
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie

Postby issy » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:58 am

Trust me Sheldon is such a handful, I would not even mind getting another lorikeet XD

I'm just considering the options of getting a second bird in the near future. I'm torn between Indian ring necks and lovebirds. I've done a lot of research on both of them and love their personalities. =D
Image- Sheldon

Image- Evey
issy
Conure

Sun Conure

Postby Rueae » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:57 pm

I have an IRN! :D
Rather, three:
One green pied female
One blue turquoise pied male
And one albino female

The pieds are my breeding pair and are still fairly untamed, but they take treats from me and they both know how to step up. (The male can only do so on gloved hands, though) I'm unsure of age, but they're older than two and were aviary birds so they're doing really well with light taming.

Ink (my albino) I bought as a pet. I got her between 3 and 4 months, I believe (there was some confusion with exact hatch date, as she wasn't a handtame/handfed baby) and she's always been amazing. Especially for an untamed bird. I think it happened really fast, as far as other stories I've heard about parrots in general. We were hanging out together all around the house, she was stepping up and laying on her back in a matter of days. I was pretty excited, considering the breeder told me she wouldn't allow her to touch her. :P

In fact, this video here has footage only from our first three days together: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jShXBZTsECI
(She was a little shy at first and liked to hide in people's hair)

She's only ever bitten me once, while I was trimming her nails and even then it wasn't hard at all. (I knew then, but I especially know it now because the male I have bites like his life depends on it.:P)

All in all, I love the species and would recommend them. :3

Actually answering some questions, instead of just rambling about my birds:
They can go through a bluffing stage. Some do and some don't and I don't think there is a way to tell which will or won't, but it doesn't last forever. It's just a time where some birds will test how far thay can go with you.
As far as males and females, males get a ring and females don't. (For the most part, anyway. Albinos don't get the ring regardless of sex and some pieds are the same) It takes two to three years for the ring to come in on the boys.
Both sexes are the same in talking ability.
And (to quote myself from another forum) "...in the end, I find that the girls are more cuddly, but will get tempermental in breeding season. The boys are sweet also, but seem to be more interested in adventure than quality time. :P"
But birds are individuals and you just have to get a feel for yours.

If you're really interested in IRNS, this is a good forum to look at. :3
http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/

Hope that helps.
A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song.
Rueae
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: No

Postby zazanomore » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:40 pm

I know that make really clear talkers.

They seem to be really high energy birds, and from what I've heard is that they would rather play than cuddle (but I could be wrong).

They're really pretty and super smart. :)
Bonnie - :budgie2:
Clyde - :budgie:
Einstein - :greycockatiel:
Alyssa - :thumbsup:
zazanomore
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Budgies

Postby issy » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:41 am

Thanks for the information guys, it was very helpful =D

zazanomore- Trust me, I love playing with high energy birds more than cuddling XD
Image- Sheldon

Image- Evey
issy
Conure

Sun Conure

Postby Rueae » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:51 am

Ink adores cuddle time. ;^;
Hmm...I wouldn't say Ink is very high energy. She seems pretty mellow to me, but that could just be her. She loves to walk around the floor though and trying to fly, but she has no idea. .3.
She talks in her sleep! >3< I love it.
Also, Indian Ringnecks "purr" a lot. I'm not sure if it's even purring, more like clucking, but they do it during cuddles.
Like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfW2hptSyo4

Only Ink sounds more like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyIVaY3n ... re=related

They're both female, but my breeder male makes purring sounds (only more manly :P) when I give him scritches. (The breeding female doesn't. ;^;)
Rueae
Cockatiel

Postby zazanomore » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:05 am

Rueae wrote:Ink adores cuddle time. ;^;
Hmm...I wouldn't say Ink is very high energy. She seems pretty mellow to me, but that could just be her. She loves to walk around the floor though and trying to fly, but she has no idea. .3.
She talks in her sleep! >3< I love it.
Also, Indian Ringnecks "purr" a lot. I'm not sure if it's even purring, more like clucking, but they do it during cuddles.
Like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfW2hptSyo4

Only Ink sounds more like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyIVaY3n ... re=related

They're both female, but my breeder male makes purring sounds (only more manly :P) when I give him scritches. (The breeding female doesn't. ;^;)

Almost died of cuteness right there.
Bonnie - :budgie2:
Clyde - :budgie:
Einstein - :greycockatiel:
Alyssa - :thumbsup:
zazanomore
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Budgies

Postby Jenny » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:08 am

Rueae wrote:this video here has footage only from our first three days together: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jShXBZTsECI
(She was a little shy at first and liked to hide in people's hair)

Ink is lovely! So fluffy & white (except after a bath of course!) - makes me think of meringue. :)
Jenny
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: cockatiel
white-capped pionus

Postby Rueae » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:32 pm

zazanomore wrote:Almost died of cuteness right there.

I know, right? XD
It pretty much killed me the first time she did it during cuddles too.
As babies they're insanely quiet, so it was even more amazing. She's a little over six months and still not overly loud. .3. Oh, but she'll get there.

Jenny wrote:Ink is lovely! So fluffy & white (except after a bath of course!) - makes me think of meringue. :)

Thank you! I'm certainly smitten. .3.
She's suffused, as well. One of my favorite things about albinos.
Rueae
Cockatiel

Return to Parrot Species