Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

The saga continues...I am baffled with my Senegal.

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

The saga continues...I am baffled with my Senegal.

Postby PatrickAlan » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:18 am

Yes, my saga continues with "JoJo". This Senegal is cracking my nerves. I have had this parrot for almost 4-years. I have found her to be quite a challenge since I got her. #1. She's a biter, #2. She does not play with toys. #3. She prefers to be on my shoulder doing nothing until you go to place her back in her cage ----- then Look out! She will bite you so severely and so faat that you are left standing in a pool of blood. I really do not know what to do with her anylonger ........
PatrickAlan
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Male Gouldian Finches, and 1 Senegal Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: The saga continues...I am baffled with my Senegal.

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:25 am

Hi, Patrick, nice to hear from you although I am sorry to find out you are still having trouble with Jojo. I am sorry to be a pest and repeat the same questions that I always ask but is she being kept at a strict solar schedule? The right diet? Lots and lots of one-on-one time? My Zoey Senegal continues to be the sweetest thing and even Sweetpea Senegal, the ONLY parrot I have ever been afraid of and which took 5 (FIVE!) whole years to become my friend is now flying to me and asking for scritches all the time.

What I can tell you is that senegals are short day breeders and the days have been getting shorter since June/20, plus, there are now studies that tell us that birds are breeding earlier than normal because of global warming so it is entirely possible that she is becoming hormonal. I know mine are. Sweetpea Senegal has been chewing like a maniac and I've had to give him new boxes every single morning (and these are BIG boxes, the ones that bring four one gallon bottles of spring water). Zoey Senegal is allowing him to preen her (she tends to be standoffish with him, normally) and they both fly together all over constantly looking for 'dark caves' (cutest thing, they both put their heads together to peer into little spaces :D ). Linus Too has also been chewing more than normal and he bit my foot three days ago -and he is usually the sweetest guy- and Sophie Gray (both cockatoos and grays are short day breeders also) is asking for scritches all the time and purring when I give them to her (grays are not normally touchy-feely birds). What I am trying to say is that this is a difficult time with short day breeders and that her aggression might be part of the problem. But, if I remember correctly, your room-mate is not fond of Jojo being out for many hours and that could also be a reason. My birds are out from 6:00 to 3:00 pm this time of the year - and yes, it's pretty hard for the poor human who, like me, needs to be home and paying attention to them for so many hours every single day of the week (boy, do I long for the nice short winter days when no bird is hormonal!).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Parrot Species