Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

age & gender of Indian Ringneck

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Re: age & gender of Indian Ringneck

Postby fiko » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:30 am

Pajarita wrote:YAAAAYYYY! Congrats!!! Now, you need to change the dowel on the stand - for one thing, it's way too big for an IRN's feet (the ideal diameter is one that allows the foot to go 3/4 of the way around) and a dowel (no dowels, not ever, only natural branches or some other sort of perch that is uneven in its diameter). And the toy is no good for an IRN - they don't really chew on wood, they have soft beaks (these birds are almost completely frugivore so their beaks are not made to chew on hard materials). Try toys made out of balsa wood, cork, dried yucca (they LOVE the kabobs!), woven grasses, cardboard, etc.

hello, thank you, now my current target is to increase the chirp and chirp melody :) and also exercises for speaking. Regarding perch, I bought a new thin perch (natural tree) and natural pumpkin fiber to chew.
fiko
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Indian Ringneck
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:22 am

Oooookeeeey but have you ever heard the expression: "Be careful what you wish for because you might get it"? Well, when it comes to wishing for parrots vocalizations, this hits the nail right on the head :lol:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby fiko » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:59 am

I even took a branch from natural wood and put natural squash fibers on it that he could peck on. What more can I do to this IRN ? :) I swear to God, if he doesn't sing and talk, I will send him to his friends in the forest :) :) no no I can not :)

5.jpg
fiko
Parrotlet

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:11 am

I told you before and I'll tell you again: putting a human timetable on a parrot is useless. Parrots are slooooowwwww animals when it comes to any new thing. It takes years to switch them to a good diet (it took five years for a CAG to try her first blueberry even though she got them once a week), it takes years to get them to accept a new bird when they did not like it at first sight (it took 6 years for Zoey Senegal to actually accept a nest made by Sweetpea Senegal), it takes years for an aggressive bird to become friendly (five years for Sweetpea Senegal and about 4 for Zeus Zon to stop attacking me), and about two years (of doing the right thing all the time, mind you) for them to become completely comfortable in their new home, etc. etc.

You expect results way too soon. If you want to succeed at parrot keeping, you will have to learn to be much more patient because trying to speed things up with them always backfires. You and your bird will be much better off if you just relax and enjoy the bird without expecting anything. It might very well be that the bird is not relaxing because it is 'picking up' 'nervous' clues from you...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby fiko » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:10 am

yes, I understand that I have to be patient. by the way yesterday I arranged the audio recording part of the phone and left the TV on and went out with our family. I wondered if he was melodic crowing when no one was in house. When I arrived 1 hour later, I opened the audio recording. I heard he made melodic chirps for at least 15 minutes. Do you think this is occured because of he is not used to the household yet or because they are afraid of us ?
fiko
Parrotlet

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:54 pm

I doubt anybody can answer that question with any degree of certainty from just a posting. I think that the bird might have felt a bit safer when there were no humans around and that, in time, it will get used to the normal noises of the house and will start vocalizing.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby fiko » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:32 am

hello Pajarita, Is it harmful to put a mirror in a parrot's cage or perch?
fiko
Parrotlet

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:51 am

I do not recommend putting mirrors in parrots cages but, for an IRN, it would not even work anyway because they are sexually dimorphic (meaning the males look differently from the females). The idea of putting a mirror in a bird's cage is to relieve the loneliness and anxiety they feel when they do not have a flock or, at least, a companion of their own species - the bird sees himself reflected in the mirror and thinks there is another bird and potential mate in the cage with him. But, as I do not think that keeping a single parrot is healthy or kind to the bird, all my birds have real, alive companions.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Previous

Return to Parrot Species