Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Red Bellied Parrot

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Re: Red Bellied Parrot

Postby Natacha » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:25 am

Sevenswords wrote:could a pair of red bellies be kept together or do they need seperate cages?

If you buy them as a pair and they are used to being kept together, then yes.

If you buy two separate birds, I would get two separate cages. For one, if they don't come from the same place you will want to keep them somewhat separate until you are sure that both are healthy. Having a second cage will also be quite helpful if it turns out both birds don't like each other, at least you will be able to separate them fast.

I have two Red-bellies, they aren't a pair, in fact they are siblings that come from the same parents but different clutches and didn't know about each other until they both got here. They both have their own cages (as do all my birds, even then ones that get along because there is the occasional tiff between even them).
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby lzver » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:01 am

As soon as I saw the topic, I knew pchela and Natacha would have responded ;)

I have a 5 year old female Red Bellied and she is a great little bird. She's only about 9 inches in height and at her last vet checkup she weighed around 135 grams. I've heard that the males are better talker than the females, but Lucy has quite an extensive vocabulary and can put quite a few things into context as well. I love the red bellies on the males, but what Lucy lacks in color on the outside, she more than makes up for with her colorful personality. She's a sweet little bird that could hang out and talk to me all day long. She's not much of a cuddler ... but will accept scratches all day if you were willing to give them.

As far as food is concerned, I would suggest a base diet consisting of a good quality pellet food (Harrison's, Roudybush, etc). I leave the pellet food in my birds cages when we are not there during the day. Then I provide fresh vegetables, fruits, sprouted beans on a daily basis. I present in a few different ways ... chopped into smaller pieces and fed in their food bowl or presented as larger pieces on a kabob (they love this by the way because it makes dinner seem more like a toy).
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers

Postby pchela » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:24 pm

I will add to what Natacha said about keeping them in one cage. If you do that, it will most likely be more difficult for you to maintain a relationship with them. They could bond with each other and want nothing to do with you. There have been people who have been able to keep pairs tame with a lot of work, but I personally wouldn't risk it.

As for diet, lzver got it right. I feed Harrisons pellets (Roudybush is also good), some quality seed mix with no sunflowers, sprouted grains, seeds and beans, glop and fruit and veggies. They also get some people food when we are eating.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby Athena&beepbeep'smom » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:16 pm

I will be very jealous if you get one! There is a one year old rehomed red bellied parrot at a petstore here. He's in a not so ethical store in a way too small cage so i expected him to be nippy, but he was so sweet! He was hard for the lady to get out of the cage because he was cage territorial (can't imagine why, tiny cage!) but when he was out he came right to me and let me snuggle and pet him and just kept whispering to me. He would whisper his name "Remme" over and over and then say "kisses" and make a kissy noise.

I have been torn every since because he had kinda runny poos and not such great feathers and is in that tiny cage. Such a sweet bird may not have such a great future at a crammed chain petstore. But I have two birds, one of which is new and still being socialized and very attention hungry. Not to mention I do not have the asking price of $559. I hate how those chain stores mark everything up.

so anyway definitely get one, and drive up here, and buy Remme at the Petco in Murfreesboro. He really needs you to. And I would feel way better!
Athena&beepbeep'smom
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: White Capped Pionus, Pacific Parrotlet

Postby Sevenswords » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:28 pm

Zephyr is dead :cry: :cry: :cry:
It happened this mourning, somehow his cage got knocked over and he was just lying there..
I appreciate your help but I dont think i will get a new bird anytime soon..... :cry:
Sevenswords
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Postby Nathaniel » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:31 pm

Thats terrible. :o :(
"There must be a beginning of any great matter, but the continuing unto the end until it be thoroughly finished yields the true glory."
Sir Francis Drake
Nathaniel
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Male Red-Bellied Parrot

Postby Athena&beepbeep'smom » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:51 am

I'm so sorry to hear that! I know from experience how hard it can be to lose one, especially so unexpectedly. My thoughts are with you. Do you know how it happened? Do you have other pets who could knock it over?
Athena&beepbeep'smom
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: White Capped Pionus, Pacific Parrotlet

Postby pchela » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:29 pm

I'm very sorry to hear that. So sad.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Previous

Return to Parrot Species