Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Pionus Parrots

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Pionus Parrots

Postby Rue » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:30 pm

I'm a little surprised with the lack of information on this group of parrots.

They are excellent pet birds. Reasonable size (depends on species), reasonably quiet, not overly active - but don't confuse this with inactivity, because they are NOT inactive. They have a reputation as being 'perch potatoes', but this is only when new, stressed or uncertain. Once comfortable with their surroundings they're as active as you could wish.

They also have a reputation for being dull coloured. Again, not true. The colours may be a bit more subtle than what novice owners would like, and photos do not do them justice. The colours of a well-feathered bird are quite breath-taking in real life...very iridescent...

They are not great talkers...but you can expect a few words from them. Some individuals do build up quite a vocabulary.

Related to the Amazon parrots...they live in the same areas and have that same stocky amazon build. However, their flight muscles and ability differ.

There are several species:

1. The white-capped pionus. Pionus senilis, more correctly called the white-crowned, although hardly anyone uses the correct popular designation. Again, they have a reputation for being fiesty that seems to put people off. I think this is because they are probably the most active of the pis...but they are still not more active than a Green-cheek conure or most of the other common parrots...so I'm not sure why this rumour persists.

2. The white-crowned pionus (or white-headed pionus). Pionus seniloides This is the bird that IS also correctly called the white-capped. Rather silly to try and change the popular designation with P. seniloides, but what can you do? Not seen in the pet trade.

3. The blue-headed pionus. Pionus menstruus . Maybe more than one sub-species. Quite common.

4. Maximilian's pionus (often called the Scaly-headed Parrot). Pionus maximiliani. One of the larger parrots. May also be the most commonly found of the pet species in North Amercian. could also be considered the least colourful. Very nice birds.
Last edited by Rue on Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Every parrot has a duty: To reduce the world to toothpicks.
Rue
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels -2 hens
Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped
African Grey, Red-tailed (CAG)
Flight: Yes

Re: Pionus Parrots

Postby Rue » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:36 pm

For some reason, I can't keep typing in the box past a certain number of lines...the bottom of the post disappears from view...so bear with me...I'll try to post in two sections...

5. The bronze-winged pionus. Pionus chalcopterus. Quite a few of these guys available.

6. The dusky pionus. Pionus fuscus. Love these guys. Quite small (same as the white-capped more or less). Looks a little 'hawkish', very cute and many people find that hawkish look appealing.

7. The coral-billed pionus. Pionus sordidus. The only Pi with a red-billed (sometimes called the red-billed pionuse). There are a few in the pet trade. They have become a tad more popular over the last 4-5 years due to the unique red beak

8. The plum-crowned pionus. Pionus tumultuosus. A few in the pet trade. Very rare.
Rue
Poicephalus

Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped

Postby Rue » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:49 pm

I hope I didn't make too many errors. That was rather frustrating (the posting issue).

If there's anything confusing...just ask...I'll straighten it out if I can.
Rue
Poicephalus

Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped

Postby pchela » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:07 pm

Excellent. I've had the pleasure of meeting several Pionus parrots and they have all been really cool birds. Thanks for the info. I'd love to see a topic devoted to in depth information for each type of parrot. It really helps people who are researching their birds. I know it would have helped me. There is so little information available and much of it is contradictory online.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby Athena&beepbeep'smom » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:10 pm

I agree whole heartedly. They are awesome! and when I first got Athena (white crowned) I was terribly disappointed that you couldn't find any info and no one seemed to be interested in them. Everyone thinks they're dumb or boring, but Athena imitates sounds, bounces on her boing, flies, comes when I call her, and has recently learned to target and wave. she loves singing or music of any kind and will head bob to the rythm. She has loads of personality and is very bright. But she's not as outgoing and flaunty with her personality. She has to observe her surroundings and get to know you before she is really herself. She's not a "look at how cool I am!" sort of parrot, but she's real cool none the less.

And you're right about the colors too. They are dull in pictures. But in person she has these great irridescent feathers that can look blue, green, or bronzey gold depending on which angle you're looking from.

And I don't know why the white crowns get such a reputation for feistiness. I'm used to conures and parrotlets and Athena is way more laid back than that. She's never bitten anyone and doesn't tend to be a bossy breeches. And doesn't intentionally unlearn things she's not interested in doing anymore.

Thanks for the name info too, I've been calling her a white cap, guess that's inaccurate.
Athena&beepbeep'smom
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: White Capped Pionus, Pacific Parrotlet

Postby a.susz » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:55 am

white caps are known for being protective of their stuff(playstands, cages, food) especially the males. Blue heads are similar, but not as bad. Bronze wings are usually very easy going and willing to step up to anyone, but protective of their belongings as well. I have experienced these three pi's while working at a bird store, and own the bronze wing. I cannot speak for any other pi's :mrgreen:

also each bird will be different in personality, i dont think any 2 birds will behave exactly the same. hand tame/fed birds also are totally different than birds that are rarely handled. the white cap i kno0w will go to anyone he knows(employees) but is wary of strangers. once he knows you, he's quite the charmer.

My bronze wing is a GREAT talker as well. some people say pi's dont talk hardly at all, but my Odin says so many phrases, asks questions and responds to your answer! He is very silly and enjoys casual conversation. :thumbsup:
-Annaleza- and--
Peanut , the sennie
Baby, the red belly
Odin, the bronze wing pi
Loki, the bronze wing pi our new addition :)
http://www.annaleza.blogspot.com
a.susz
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal, Red Belly, Bronze Wing Pionus x2

Postby alexdwsn12 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:15 am

The Pionus parrots are very colorful when they reach full maturity. I like Bronze-winged Pionus. They are very attractive and coloring in its plumage is especially apparent in bright light, and the vivid blues on the undersides of the wings can be seen when they fly if kept in an aviary. I like very much.
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself
alexdwsn12
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Return to Parrot Species