Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

mitred/ cherry headed conures?

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

mitred/ cherry headed conures?

Postby Giantmoa » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:51 pm

are there any mitred conure owners out there? I've been vaguely considering one in the distant future and wanted to hear some feedback on them. I have a green cheek conure so I'm a bit partial to conure's playful personalities :] I haven't spent much time with species other than conures, cockatiels and an amazon (not to mention owls and hawks... but thats a whole different ball game), so if anyone else has a parrot species they adore I'd love to hear why as well :D
:gcc: Rainbow
Giantmoa
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
Flight: No

Re: mitred/ cherry headed conures?

Postby Rue » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:04 pm

I have seen one in real life (very pretty) and met a couple of people who've had one. I don't recall any 'negative' feedback about them. They seem to be quite sweet.

I'm not sure why they're not more popular (similar to the Pionus!)...
Every parrot has a duty: To reduce the world to toothpicks.
Rue
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels -2 hens
Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped
African Grey, Red-tailed (CAG)
Flight: Yes

Postby pchela » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:24 pm

I know they are quite loud but I've heard they are sweet and comical birds. They are featured in The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill if you'd like to see some footage of a wild flock.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)
Flight: Yes

Postby ptuga72 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:30 pm

I've only met one mitred conure, and she was very sweet and loved to play. I am actually picking up my foster birds tomorrow, both are cherry-heads (smaller than the mitreds). Their current foster mom calls them "the clowns". Apparently to get them from their cage to a playstand (and back) she ties a rope from one to the other and they "tight-rope" across it :lol: I'll let you know how it goes!
Many have forgotten this truth, but you must not forget it.
You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
-Antoine de Saint Exupery
ptuga72
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Female Eclectus, 1 Green Cheek Conure, 2 Cherry-Headed Conures (fosters)

Postby Giantmoa » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:18 pm

pchela wrote:I know they are quite loud but I've heard they are sweet and comical birds. They are featured in The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill if you'd like to see some footage of a wild flock.

thanks, I actually live near there and know a bird rescue that has several injured and recovered birds from that flock (which is what got me interested in them) =] I've been thinking of contacting a foster parent to see if I can meet one... though I'm starting to realize that getting one would have to be much farther in the future than I first thought as my dad isn't loving how loud my lil' conure is =/ But I would definitely love a mitred conure one of these days

ptuga72 wrote:I've only met one mitred conure, and she was very sweet and loved to play. I am actually picking up my foster birds tomorrow, both are cherry-heads (smaller than the mitreds). Their current foster mom calls them "the clowns". Apparently to get them from their cage to a playstand (and back) she ties a rope from one to the other and they "tight-rope" across it :lol: I'll let you know how it goes!

that sounds so funny! I love what clowns they appear to be :mrgreen: I would definitely like to hear how that goes! and, lol, I had no idea there was a difference between mitred and cherry headed conures ;) oops
Giantmoa
Poicephalus

Postby ptuga72 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:33 pm

I think we are talking about the same rescue as my fosters are from that flock! I'm not in the bay area though. Small world :) also the telegraph hill flock have had some mitred conures mixed in there and they can (and have) breed with the cherry-heads, so you're not too far off :D
Thread hijack: if you want to meet the wild cherry-heads there will be an adoption fair for them in Walnut Creek 7/24/10. I don't know specifics yet, but can PM them to you when I get more info ;)
ptuga72
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: 1 Female Eclectus, 1 Green Cheek Conure, 2 Cherry-Headed Conures (fosters)

Postby Giantmoa » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:54 pm

are talking about Mickaboo? I love them and have been meaning to take one of their bird care classes... and consequently the 24th happens to be the the first day of school for me xD but thanks, I'll check it out! it really does seem like a small world sometimes :D
Giantmoa
Poicephalus

Postby ptuga72 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:21 am

I really love that organization, and their classes are phenomenal. I have taken the basic class, the avian class and the advance behavior class-so informational!
ptuga72
Poicephalus

Return to Parrot Species