Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Allergies

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Re: Allergies

Postby TheNzJessie » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:05 am

thankfully im not allergic to any animals but i am allergic to a particular type of jelly....no others as of yet....
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby sidech » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:35 am

I have allergies to dogs, cats, horses and probably just about any animal, except fish, lizards and turtles.

I don't consider them too bad, because I can have animals as long as I take my medication everyday day (those oral pumps). I've had many birds, mostly small, and I have found that they don't aggravate my allergies too much.

If your allergic to dogs and cats, just like me, there is a good chance you'll be sensitive to a degree to your little friend.

I'd rather live with my allergies than without my furrry and feathered buddies.
sidech
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Red Sided Eclectus

Postby SlaveToAParrot » Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:05 pm

I've got allergies to dogs, cats, horses..a little towards the rats and other unrelated pet ones like mold. I haven't had much of an issue with my bird. I do let him hang out with me in my room quite a bit but I just make sure to keep the area he's in as mess-contained as possible and clean it frequently.

I'd never rehome any of my pets because of my allergies. I had 2 cats before and I was really allergic to them. I found it increased if I hadn't been exposed to them for awhile. I haven't owned a cat for 8 or 9 years now. I had an allergy attack a couple years ago when my dad used a vacuum full of cat hair borrowed from a neighbour. Cats are really the only animal I am very cautious around now since that attack I had.

I would take my allergy medication to help me before. I could take it again if needed. Haven't needed to use it much though. Only on that one attack to save myself and that was it. As for the types of birds to recommend for someone with allergies? I don't really know. The only other birds I've had aside from a Senegal, were budgies and I found them more dusty. That was a long time ago though so I can't say much about it.
Owned by:
Cody the 17-year-old male :senegal: / Birdie the 20-year-old female :greycockatiel:
SlaveToAParrot
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cockatiel

Postby Nathaniel » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:52 am

Over the weekend I spent a considerable time with a few :senegal: , :budgie: , :gray: , :caique:, Meyers, Conures, and a Macaw. I found that none of these realy spark my allergies so I think I'm good to go. :D .Also Has anon else noticed how if you take the c in macaw and use it as am pivit and you turn the other letters(like a fan) you end up with macaw.
"There must be a beginning of any great matter, but the continuing unto the end until it be thoroughly finished yields the true glory."
Sir Francis Drake
Nathaniel
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Male Red-Bellied Parrot

Previous

Return to Parrot Species