Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Allergies

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Allergies

Postby Nathaniel » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:00 pm

I have heard about "dust" that birds produce that can affect allergies. Well I have bad allergies... Anyways I have read about birds that are more sutiable for allergy sufferers. I have thought about getting a budgie or a green cheek conure. Are these birds sutible for me. If not what are. I want to thank you all in advance, because without your help I would be lost searching for a reliable source. :)
"There must be a beginning of any great matter, but the continuing unto the end until it be thoroughly finished yields the true glory."
Sir Francis Drake
Nathaniel
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Male Red-Bellied Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: Allergies

Postby Michael » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:46 pm

From my personal experience, budgies are way dustier than their size. However, it's still not that much on a larger scale. But I'd say that for the time I had a budgie, the amount of dust doubled from having a Senegal alone although much smaller than one.

I suffer from allergies as well but since having parrots I think I've had less rather than more trouble because I've acquired an assortment of air purifiers that I didn't have beforehand. So they not only help with the parrot dust but also other allergens in the air. I highly recommend all parrot owners and heck everyone susceptible to allergies to get them. I gotta write a blog article about all the air purifiers I have so people know what to get.

The very least you and everyone else who is concerned can do is be sure to clean the filter on your air conditioner (if you have one) frequently cause those pull a lot of the bird dust in as well. Also, once a week or so take all the birds out of where they normally live and leave all windows open, perhaps put in a fan, and make a draft to vent out the bird room.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Nathaniel » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:57 pm

I do have a few air filters in storage, I also want to thank you for your help. I am still doing reserch on Budgies, but one web site ( http://www.conurequeen.com/green-cheek-conure.html? ) said that GCC's have oil glands that reduce dust. Is this true?
"There must be a beginning of any great matter, but the continuing unto the end until it be thoroughly finished yields the true glory."
Sir Francis Drake
Nathaniel
Conure

Postby Michael » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:02 pm

Probably. The only powder parrots I know for sure are cockatoos and african greys. Most other parrots use preening oil to condition their feathers but they still make some dust. I think another factor is how close quarters you live in. If you keep a budgie on a bed stand next to your bed in a small room, that would be far more drastic than me keeping a Cape parrot in a 1300sq ft room. So it's all a matter of space in this case. Don't get a cockatiel though, they will definitely be very dusty.
Michael
Macaw

Postby Nathaniel » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:16 pm

O yes. My step brother had two of the little devils.. First they were loud, second they bit, and third they always spiked my allergies. Anyways I won't be keeping it by my bed.
Sir Francis Drake
Nathaniel
Conure

Postby Rue » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:18 pm

Cockatiels are also dust producers...but they are related to cockatoos...

Frankly, I'd make sure I didn't have allergies before I brought the bird home. You can find out by being tested by your Doctor, or by going over to someone's house who has a budgie/ conure and spending time with it. You'll find out quickly if you're allergic to birds.

Having it away from your bedroom helps, but allergies are unpredictable. I'd rather not get a pet I might become allergic to, vs. having to rehome it down the road...
Last edited by Rue on Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Every parrot has a duty: To reduce the world to toothpicks.
Rue
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels -2 hens
Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped
African Grey, Red-tailed (CAG)

Postby Giantmoa » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:21 pm

my mom is allergic to furry things but in the 4+ years we've had parrots she hasn't had a problem. my gcc isn't too dusty (I have never noticed a problem at least) but I vacuum daily or every couple of days and we live in a big house... plus she adores bathing which might help with any possible dust problems?
:gcc: Rainbow
Giantmoa
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
Flight: No

Postby Rue » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:25 pm

I've been tested...and from the test it turns out I'm allergic to rats, dogs and horses. But my dog and horse allergies don't manifest unless the allergies are 'stimulated' by the rat allergy. This is quite common apparently with food allergies as well.

I'm not allergic to cats and birds...but that can change as you age as well.

Again, allergies are unpredictable...
Every parrot has a duty: To reduce the world to toothpicks.
Rue
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels -2 hens
Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped
African Grey, Red-tailed (CAG)

Postby Nathaniel » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:33 pm

I know I am allegic to pollen, pine, etc. I also think that it is a posibility that because they used pine shavings before I knew I was allergic to pine may have aso spiked my allergies. Again I have a few filters that I save for spring, that I can use around the cage. Thank you, but rehoming an animal will not be an option for me because even if I am allergic does not mean I will die being around it, I will just have to take my allergy medicine everyday, instead of every pollen season.
Sir Francis Drake
Nathaniel
Conure

Postby Michael » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:44 pm

Rue wrote:Cockatiels are also dust producers...but they are related to cockatoos...

Cockatiels aren't "related" to cockatoos. They are cockatoos. ;)
Michael
Macaw

Next

Return to Parrot Species