Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Red Bellied or Meyer's

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Red Bellied or Meyer's

Postby Nathaniel » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:21 pm

If you were given a choice between these birds. Which would you choose and why? If you own one of these(or both), what are pros and cons to their personalitys. Finaly if you have thought about getting either one of these, what discouraged you? Thank you in advance.
"There must be a beginning of any great matter, but the continuing unto the end until it be thoroughly finished yields the true glory."
Sir Francis Drake
Nathaniel
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Male Red-Bellied Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: Red Bellied or Meyer's

Postby lzver » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:00 pm

I have a 5 year old female Red Bellied and she's a great little bird. She's very independent - she's much happier hanging out doing her own thing than sitting and cuddling. She's quite talkative as well - probably says 25 different words and sayings. I cuddle and kiss with her every day, but she won't tolerate for any longer than 5 minutes. I know a Senegal isn't a Meyers, but my Senegal is a goofy little cuddle monkey. He LOVES cuddling and hanging out as close to me as he can and he's funny little bird - he loves to hang upside down and swing and is goofy all the time.

I cannot compare to a Meyers because I don't have one. But I am going to see a Meyers parrot this week that I am considering adopting. But if I adopt her she won't be coming home until late September at the earliest - not until I can do a proper quarantine.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers

Postby Nathaniel » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:18 pm

Well, good luck. And thank you for the information.
"There must be a beginning of any great matter, but the continuing unto the end until it be thoroughly finished yields the true glory."
Sir Francis Drake
Nathaniel
Conure

Postby pchela » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:27 am

My foster meyers was very sweet. She would step up for anybody and never bit anybody in her life. My red belly bites sometimes and when he does, he's like a snapping turtle. He will not let go. He is a great talker. I've heard of mean meyers and sweet red bellies so it's just down to individuals. The red belly will be more likely to talk if that interests you.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby Nathaniel » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:31 am

To tell the truth I really don't care if a bird can talk or not, A pet is a compainion, weather or not it can talk. I am leaning toward red-bellies, but its all still up for grabs.
Sir Francis Drake
Nathaniel
Conure

Postby pchela » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:43 pm

Well the Meyers I fostered was probably the sweetest bird I've ever met. I would not hesitate to get another someday if I had the space.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby Rue » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:50 pm

I have to laugh...because when I originally was researching my first larger parrot, I had both on my short-list...

...and then ended up with a Pionus...
Every parrot has a duty: To reduce the world to toothpicks.
Rue
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels -2 hens
Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped
African Grey, Red-tailed (CAG)

Postby Natacha » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:50 pm

Honestly....I would go with a Red-bellied.

It might be because my two Meyer's came to me "damaged" and will never really fit the sweet and cuddly description you often see, but I think it had more to do with the overall personality of the Red-bellied I've met.

I first got Joey, my male RB, and he's an absolute charmer and the biggest clown I've ever seen. He had very endearing qualities. A few months with him and I knew I wanted another RB, though a female because they have a reputation of being a bit calmer.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby Nathaniel » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:07 am

A RB is so far my first choice, then Meyers. I like the coloration of the red bellied the best and it seems like it would be a good match for me. Still not 100% but...
Sir Francis Drake
Nathaniel
Conure

Return to Parrot Species