Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Prefered

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Re: Prefered

Postby Michael » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:47 pm

I'm not sure I understand why Senegal Parrot is out of the running.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby Nathaniel » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:53 pm

The moreI think about owning a senegal,the less I want one. I am not entirely sure why though. :?
"There must be a beginning of any great matter, but the continuing unto the end until it be thoroughly finished yields the true glory."
Sir Francis Drake
Nathaniel
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Male Red-Bellied Parrot

Postby Michael » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:57 pm

That doesn't make any sense. Of everything you listed, Senegal, Budgerigar, and Green Cheeked Parakeet are the only ones I could recommend. And you have most of them crossed out.

You don't want to start yourself out on a very rare parrot (Ruppells for example) because there will be a major absence of information and it will be much harder for you to get species specific help. For me owning a Cape as a second parrot isn't a problem with the lack of specific info because I had experience on a Senegal. However, starting out with something rare probably isn't the best way to go because believe me, once you have it you'll have so many more questions.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Nathaniel » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:27 pm

I was thinking about the budgie, but they are a little small for my liking. I am not sure why I don't like senegals, I just don't like them. I like GCC's, and I will probly end up with one. I think my favorite would be the red-bellied/meyers. You have talked me out of the rupells, because I realize they are rare and would be difficult to keep. The pionus seem like a mystery to me but I guess I could explore those later. I am still considering the senegal,it is just not on top of my list. But it is all up in the air.

p.s.sorry if my wordsmay be squished together, my space bar is weird :?
"There must be a beginning of any great matter, but the continuing unto the end until it be thoroughly finished yields the true glory."
Sir Francis Drake
Nathaniel
Conure

Postby Rrrma » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:01 am

Have you gone to pet stores and handled any of them? Budgies/parakeets are quite small, but mine have always had personality to compensate for that. I swear my Ranger thought he was as big as Rosie, they were best friends and did a LOT together, regardless of their size difference.

Could you possibly birdsit for anyone? Or do you know anyone who has birds that will let you come over for play dates?
Sara, birdma to
Rosie(9), Vosmaeri Eclectus
Hardy(20+), Lilac Crown Amazon
Norma(14), Congo African Grey
Trinity(3) and Ginger(1), Normal Grey and White-faced Cinnamon Cockatiels
Rrrma
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Vosmaeri Eclectus, Lilac Crown Amazon, Congo African Grey, and 2 cockatiels(a normal grey and a white faced cinnamon)

Postby Nathaniel » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:23 am

I have handled and bird sat many budgies, lovebirds, and once a monk parakeet. I would like a bird with enough size to take out on a harness, I know this isn't a big reason to dismiss a budgie. Plus, I have a cat that likes to watch budgies/lovebirds, but the monk scared the crap out of it (literally I had a mess to clean). I would keep the cat away from it of course, I would just feel safer if the cat was afraid of the bird. Those are just a few reasons why I choose not to get one. Hope that is enough. Don't get me wrong, I like budgies, I just don't want one as my first.
Sir Francis Drake
Nathaniel
Conure

Postby Nathaniel » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:41 am

Michael, I remember reading that when you were deciding between an african grey and a cape, you were talking about having a gut feeling towards the cape. Like the cape was the right one to get, even though you wanted a grey more.

Well, I am not sure what I want more, but I just feel like the sennie/budgie is not right. I can't explain it, and you probly think I'm crazy. But I just know, even though I know that I know next to nothing. If that makes sense...
Sir Francis Drake
Nathaniel
Conure

Postby Rrrma » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:44 am

Yeah I've had cats and birds at the same time, it is a pain. You can't guarantee that the cat will be afraid of the bird, even if it seems so at first. Best you can do is always put one up with the other is out. Do you live alone?
Sara, birdma to
Rrrma
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Vosmaeri Eclectus, Lilac Crown Amazon, Congo African Grey, and 2 cockatiels(a normal grey and a white faced cinnamon)

Postby Nathaniel » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:48 am

Rrrma wrote:Do you live alone?

Sort of, its complicated...Why?
Sir Francis Drake
Nathaniel
Conure

Postby Rrrma » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:59 am

lol, I always think of facebook when people say "it's complicated" :p

More people in the house means more risk for accidents involving opened doors and such. I crated my cat when I lived with my mom, better safe than sorry.
Sara, birdma to
Rrrma
Conure

PreviousNext

Return to Parrot Species