Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Cockatiel vs Green Cheek Conure

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Cockatiel vs Green Cheek Conure

Postby Duffy1 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:41 am

I am trying to decide which bird to get. I am looking for a playful cuddly type bird. I have owned a parakeet and watched a cockatiel for a friend. What are the characteristics of Cockatiels and Conures?
Duffy1
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: No

Re: Cockatiel vs Green Cheek Conure

Postby Rue » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:37 am

I've had 'tiels for many years. Most were unwanted aviary birds, and not hand-raised. We now have 1 hand-raised hen and she's definately a people-bird.

Having said that, conures, while nippier, are a bit more hands-on. If I were to do it again, I would have gotten one the last time the opportunity arose.
Every parrot has a duty: To reduce the world to toothpicks.
Rue
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels -2 hens
Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped
African Grey, Red-tailed (CAG)
Flight: Yes

Postby bmsweb » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:10 pm

I love the way my Cockatiel's wings sound when he flaps his wings in flight. It doesn't have the small bird flutter of a Conure. Our Cockatiel is a real showman in that he will put on the most incredible performance when visitors come over. He whistles different tunes etc. He is very affectionate in that he loves to spend time with us. Loves his neck scratches and is very smart.

Our Green Cheeks on the other hand love being cuddled etc This is just in their nature. They don't mind you holding them, and I'm not taking perching on you, but actually hold them. They sleep on their backs which is cool in its own way . . well once you get over the initial shock of finding your bird on its back with legs up in the air LOL They have great hand skills even watching them eat is very cool. This is handy for certain tricks.

Things I don't like about each! Cockatiels tend to be very dusty, where as Green Cheeks don't give off dust etc Green Cheeks do big droppings so you may have to potty train them.

Both are very different in their own way.
Last edited by bmsweb on Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bmsweb
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, Green Cheek Conures

Postby Giantmoa » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:05 pm

I'd say a cockatiel is a good first time bird, but if you're willing to put in the effort green cheek conures make great pets.green cheek conures are funny and quick learners. just as a warning, some conures can be rather nippy and require patience, but it all depends on the specific bird. My conure will cuddle up to me while I read a book, either that or try to shred the pages ;) however my cockatiel was never very cuddly beyond long neck scratching sessions. also, though green cheek conures are one of the quietest conures, they can be pretty loud lil birds!

good luck!

bmsweb wrote:Our Green Cheeks on the other hand love being cuddled etc This is just in their nature. They don't mind you holding them, and I'm not taking perching on you, but actually hold them. They sleep on their backs which is cool in its own way . . well once you get over the initial shock of finding your bird on its back with legs up in the air LOL They have great hand skills even watching them eat is very cool. This is handy for certain tricks.

I've heard of this sleeping on their back thing but I've never seen my bird do it! it sounds very funny (once you realize the bird is, indeed, alive) I wonder why some green cheeks do it?
:gcc: Rainbow
Giantmoa
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure

Postby bmsweb » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:34 pm

You don't normally see them sleeping on their backs in a cage because there is nowhere for them to sleep this way. Our conures do this in their breeding box and the little Chicks also sleep this way at times in the Brooder. Its really funny because we are forever checking to make sure they are still breathing :lol:
bmsweb
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, Green Cheek Conures

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:19 pm

Scooter sleeps on his back in his tent. One night I put him to be really late and after I was done singing to him (go ahead, laugh!) he just dived in and rolled over!

I haven't had a 'tiel so I can't make a comparison. My husband calls green-cheeks the "clown princes" of parrotdom. I've only had the one, but I've been reading others' stories and while birds have their own personalities, they are inclined to be both cuddly and playful. Scooter is pretty high energy and, while he can amuse himself, he would like to be getting my attention 24/7. I'd say make sure you are going to have enough time for a smart, slightly hyperactive, people-oriented bird if you go for a green-cheek. I have the impression that 'tiels are both a bit more mellow and not as quick on the uptake.

I adore mine to death, however. I'm actually worried at how attached to him I've become. He's SO funny and SO affectionate he wraps everyone around his little claw.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot

Postby zazanomore » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:34 am

I've never owned a green cheek conure, but I do have a baby cockatiel. He was hand raised so when I brought him home he was already a huge cuddle bug. I have all my birds in my bedroom, so he is right next to my bed. Whenever he notices I'm awake in the morning, he starts chirping to let me know he wants out. And as soon as he's out and cocks his head to the side so I can give him cuddles. If it was up to him, we'd do that all day!

So even though I can't say for the conure, I can tell you that cockatiels are amazing little birds to own.

:cockatiel: :cockatiel: :cockatiel: :cockatiel: :cockatiel: :cockatiel: :cockatiel:
Bonnie - :budgie2:
Clyde - :budgie:
Einstein - :greycockatiel:
Alyssa - :thumbsup:
zazanomore
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Budgies

Postby Rrrma » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:04 am

I love my cockatiels. I've never had a conure, but I've had some hands on experience and think they are awesome too.

I have to say that for my girls(I have 2 tiels right now). One of them is very cuddly and the other one HATES being cuddled. Both are friendly and like to get out and flap around and perch on your shoulder and groom you... but one HATES being touched on affectionately and the other one BEGS for it.

So there you go with the 2 different spectrums for tiels lol! My mom has a tiel that doesn't like to be touched at all. Don't know why he is that way, he was handfed and from the same place as my cuddly girl. He was just weaned when we got him straight from the breeder and he has just always hated being touched. While my cuddly girl was already a few months old and just loves being touched.

So odd how they can be so different.
Sara, birdma to
Rosie(9), Vosmaeri Eclectus
Hardy(20+), Lilac Crown Amazon
Norma(14), Congo African Grey
Trinity(3) and Ginger(1), Normal Grey and White-faced Cinnamon Cockatiels
Rrrma
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Vosmaeri Eclectus, Lilac Crown Amazon, Congo African Grey, and 2 cockatiels(a normal grey and a white faced cinnamon)

Postby Azure Hanyo » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:20 pm

Rrrma wrote:My mom has a tiel that doesn't like to be touched at all. Don't know why he is that way, he was handfed and from the same place as my cuddly girl. He was just weaned when we got him straight from the breeder and he has just always hated being touched. While my cuddly girl was already a few months old and just loves being touched.

So odd how they can be so different.

My cockatiel Archimedes hates being touched too! He likes me, and whistles when I enter the room and always greets me at the front of the cage, and loves to hop onto my shoulder, but if I pet him he wants to leave. My first cockatiel, Stanley, was Mr. Cuddlebug. I miss my cuddly little guy. :(
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Postby maggie198 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:37 am

They are both delightful birds in their own unique ways. It is said the cockatiels make great first birds, but as a bird is not a disposable pet and you will have it for a long time I hate this concept of a "starter bird". Visit a good bird store that has both available as hand fed babies (there are MANY varieties of conure to explore, each unique) and get a feel for which one appeals to you. I personally prefer the conures and mini macaws. They are clowns and have great, entertaining personalities in their little bodies. Cockatiels are not quite so, um, wacky, or entertaining, to me. But some green cheeks can be nippy. I was visiting a fairly big batch of them housed together in a plexiglas bin at a bird store. They were beautiful little birds. One of them was the attack bird and would not let me approach without coming after me. Several of them were very sweet when the "guard dog" was moved out. Had I not just bought my black capped I would have gotten one of these green cheeks. Green cheeks and black caps are relatively quiet for parrots, definitely the quietest I've owned. They are known as the stealth parrots because of their abilty to blend in and go unnoticed in the wild.

:senegal: maggie
maggie198
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: black capped conure

Next

Return to Parrot Species