Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Bringing home baby to a home with dogs

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Bringing home baby to a home with dogs

Postby Equuswmn » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:34 pm

My new Senegal Lola will be coming home very soon to a home with other pets. Her cage will be in the family room so she be with the family and see all that is going on. Here in my question: I have 3 young dogs who are very active. I am not afraid of them bothering Lola as I have an aviary in my backyard and they are used to being around birds. But they are very active and run and play a lot. I don't want Lola to be frightened and want to acclimate her to her new home with the least amount of stress as possible. But I don't want to put her in a room where she will be by herself until she gets settled. I was thinking of putting up some sort of partition about waist high around her cage so she can still see out from the top of her cage but the dogs running by below won't freak her out until she gets used to her environment. Anyone have any suggestions or better advice about acclimating a new bird to a home with other pets? She just finished weaning herself and is 4 months old.
Equuswmn
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 9
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Senegal Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: Bringing home baby to a home with dogs

Postby lainmai » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:39 pm

The only thing I can offer advice wise really is to partially cover the cage. I'd avoid blocking the view entirely and if you really feel it is necessary that cover 3 of the 4 sides of her cage until she is more accustomed to the new environment. Eventually peel back the covering so less is covered and you will slowly get her to a state where no cover is needed at all, hopefully anyways.
Owned by 2 Parrotlets (Minoru & Midori) and 1 Senegal (Tobi)
lainmai
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Pacific Parrotlet, Senegal

Postby Equuswmn » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:51 pm

Thanks for your advice. Her cage is pretty tall and is in a spot where she will be protected on two sides by walls so I'm only worried about the front and other side. The top of her cage is about 6 feet from the ground so if I leave the top 2 feet open for her I think she will feel secure until she gets used to the other pets.
Equuswmn
Parrotlet

Senegal Parrot

Postby lainmai » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:54 pm

If you only block the bottom of the cage she'll not use that part at all.
Owned by 2 Parrotlets (Minoru & Midori) and 1 Senegal (Tobi)
lainmai
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Pacific Parrotlet, Senegal

Postby Equuswmn » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:03 pm

That's what I figured so if she's above all the commotion she should feel secure but still be able to see all that is going on and I won't have to start her off in another room. We will see how it goes. Thank you!
Equuswmn
Parrotlet

Senegal Parrot

Postby sidech » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:00 pm

I just brought home a 3 months old baby Brown head and I have two small dogs at home. My Brownie is not scared of them at all, maybe a bit cautious at first. As a matter of fact, he enjoys watching them walk around and play with their toys.

You never know, yours might be just the same. I think you have to let you baby see how it is in the house. With the cage being so high, he will feel secure in it or on top of it. And you will be there to protect him if need be.

Good luck !
sidech
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Red Sided Eclectus

Postby Equuswmn » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:23 am

Lola is very outgoing and doesn't seem timid at all so hopefully it won't be an issue. I'm glad your new bird settled in nicely with your dogs! I actually just bought a 4 foot tall by 6 foot long roll of 1 inch bamboo to use as a screen around the bottom of the cage if I need to. I can just pull it around the cage if I need it or roll it back out of the way if I don't. I have two active German Shepherds so this is the perfect height and it looks good because it's natural bamboo which I like. This is what I decided to use:
Attachments
791683ab-21af-4e7d-95c3-7d96ea805a2d_300.jpg
791683ab-21af-4e7d-95c3-7d96ea805a2d_300.jpg (11.56 KiB) Viewed 7212 times
Equuswmn
Parrotlet

Senegal Parrot

Return to Parrot Species