Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Parrotlets and the dust level.

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Parrotlets and the dust level.

Postby katulik23 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:03 pm

Hello,
I used to come here few years ago, when I was mommy to my three sweet tiels.
I was forced to rehome them after 6 hyears due to my allergic asthma. With just one tiel I was completely fine, but three tiels produced so much dust, that I had breathing problems.
I'm extremely clean person (I have an OCD), I have 2 huge air filters and I followed all recommendations - frequent bathing, cleaning the cage every single day,air filter,etc.

Rehoming my babies was one of the hardest things to do. They went to my dear friend and I can visit them anytime.
The thing is I miss having a birdie. It's like the half of me is gone. I don't have any kids. Right now I only have one 5-pound maltese boy to whom I do not have any allergy-symptoms.
My question is, what are the dust levels of Parrotlets? Many of my friend breeders (not parrotlet, but Cockatiel breeders) suggested parrotlet species, but I want to do my research before rushing into something.
I would love to hear some opinions directly from the parrotlet owners. As I said I was fine with just 1 tiel. ....4 years with 3 tiels went by until I started to experience the difficulty breathing.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
katulik23
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: No

Re: Parrotlets and the dust level.

Postby lainmai » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:19 pm

Lets like most smaller species do tend to have more 'dust' but I find I didn't really notice it much when I only had one, especially when I misted(bathed) her twice a week. I personally have never had a budgie but I know many who have and the Lets do have less 'dust' than the budgies, as a single or in a pair.
Owned by 2 Parrotlets (Minoru & Midori) and 1 Senegal (Tobi)
lainmai
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Pacific Parrotlet, Senegal
Flight: Yes

Postby katulik23 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:23 pm

Thank you very much for your input. If I ever get a birdie, I will get just one. I work mostly from home, so I can provide plenty of attention.
So you think 1 parrotlet would not produce the dusty environment?
My 3 tiels "covered" everything within 2 hours after cleaning the cage and bathing them :-(.
Thanks again for your time.
katulik23
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Postby lainmai » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:32 pm

The more you have the more dander your going to get - including from them grooming each other.
Also, a good tip is to avoid a high seed diet. I find the higher percentage seed diet the more 'dust' my 'Lets produce. Since I've upped the amount of legumes and pellets the dander level as dropped just enough to be noticeable.
Owned by 2 Parrotlets (Minoru & Midori) and 1 Senegal (Tobi)
lainmai
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Pacific Parrotlet, Senegal

Postby Nathaniel » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:51 pm

I have heard that green cheeked conures do not produce alot of dust like other birds do.

http://www.conurequeen.com/green-cheek-conure.html
"There must be a beginning of any great matter, but the continuing unto the end until it be thoroughly finished yields the true glory."
Sir Francis Drake
Nathaniel
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Male Red-Bellied Parrot

Postby Azure Hanyo » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:50 pm

My caique Galileo has barely any dander compared to my cockatiel Archimedes. Just FYI if you are ever interested in a caique! :)

http://www.avianweb.com/blackheadedcaiques.html
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Postby ptuga72 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:46 pm

Nathaniel wrote:I have heard that green cheeked conures do not produce alot of dust like other birds do.

http://www.conurequeen.com/green-cheek-conure.html

I love my green cheek, and have asthma as well. I've never had a problem with dust, especially since he loves to bath, even if he does it all-by-his-self :lol:
Many have forgotten this truth, but you must not forget it.
You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
-Antoine de Saint Exupery
ptuga72
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Female Eclectus, 1 Green Cheek Conure, 2 Cherry-Headed Conures (fosters)

Postby bmsweb » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:40 pm

Our Green Cheeks are pretty much Dust Free. If they do produce any dust, it must be like 1% of what our Cockatiel produces. Having said that our Green Cheeks do bigger dropping and are messy when they eat :)
bmsweb
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, Green Cheek Conures

Postby Kim S » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:07 am

It might be a good idea to contact some breeders of different species in your area and just go visit. Most breeders have multiple birds (duh). If you visit a different species every week you should be able to figure out very soon which triggers you the least.

But If you are just going to have one bird, and you know you are fine with tiels, why not get one?
Kika: Senegal Parrot.
Guus: Cockatiel, Yellowcheek, cinnamon, pearl, pied.
Kim S
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal (1)

Return to Parrot Species