Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Questions about Senegal?

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Questions about Senegal?

Postby Erithacus » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:11 pm

I have been eying on this particular Senagal at a nearby petshop. There is nothing special about this bird. It's just that the bird has been kept there for many months. He is not a tame bird. He gets nervous when I stand near to him. Anyway, there are no tame Senegals on sale here.
For the past few months, I have been considering about it. I have always thought of getting a small parrot.

Since there are quite a number of Senegal owners here, I have a few questions to ask.

1. Is Senegal a friendly parrot that will allow strangers to pet?
2. Is Senegal afraid of bigger bird like my Grey? My previous small parrots were afraid of my Grey. They would panic when Cocoa went close to them.
3. Is Senegal playful?
4. Interaction wise, would a Senegal bond with all family members?

Thanks.
Kilaya ...cag
Pipi, Zizi, Eclipse and Zico ... gcc
Erithacus
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 19
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey, Green cheek conures, Lovebirds, Cockatiels and Bulbul.
Flight: Yes

Re: Questions about Senegal?

Postby Michael » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:24 pm

The real answer is it depends, however, if you want specific generic answers:

Erithacus wrote:1. Is Senegal a friendly parrot that will allow strangers to pet?

No
Erithacus wrote:2. Is Senegal afraid of bigger bird like my Grey? My previous small parrots were afraid of my Grey. They would panic when Cocoa went close to them.

No
Erithacus wrote:3. Is Senegal playful?

Yes
Erithacus wrote:4. Interaction wise, would a Senegal bond with all family members?

No
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby lainmai » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:30 pm

Erithacus wrote:1. Is Senegal a friendly parrot that will allow strangers to pet?

Yes, but it depends on the training, the individual bird...and the stranger. IE, right bird, right person, right time.

Erithacus wrote:2. Is Senegal afraid of bigger bird like my Grey? My previous small parrots were afraid of my Grey. They would panic when Cocoa went close to them.

Sorry, not much advice here other than a repeat of the above - it really depends on the birds.

Erithacus wrote:3. Is Senegal playful?

From my experience so far with Tobi...."playful" would be an understatement! He is constantly doing something and is quite entertaining to watch.

Erithacus wrote:4. Interaction wise, would a Senegal bond with all family members?

Sennies tend to be labeled as "one person" birds but with the right training and social interactions they will favor one person but tolerate everyone else.

I did a quick google search and came up with this, if your interested?

Ophir Nature Vision (still no website; detail as below)
Address: Paya Redan,Tiang Dua 75460 Melaka, Malaysia
Email: Razeemmazlan@yahoo.com
Web Site: n.a.
Shipping: we do all paper works needed except clearance for your airport 40% payment on booking 100% payment before animals are shipped
Comments: we are a breeding farm specializing in parrots, and pheasants.
Birds offered: (Alexandrine Parakeet) (Cockatiel) (Dove) (Duck) (Emu) (Finch) (Hanging Parrot) (Hornbill) (Lorikeet) (Lory) (Lovebird) (Macaw) (Mynah) (Ostrich) (Parakeet) (Pheasant) (Pigeon) (Plum-headed Parakeet) (Ringneck Parakeet) (Senegal Parrot) (Starling) (Stork) (Swan)
Owned by 2 Parrotlets (Minoru & Midori) and 1 Senegal (Tobi)
lainmai
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Pacific Parrotlet, Senegal

Postby Erithacus » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:30 am

Thanks for the answers. It seems that the Senegal is more or less like a Grey.

Thanks for the contact Lainmai. I'll check them out.
Kilaya ...cag
Erithacus
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey, Green cheek conures, Lovebirds, Cockatiels and Bulbul.

Postby Erithacus » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:35 am

Another question, does Senegal likes to be pet or cuddled?
Kilaya ...cag
Erithacus
Amazon

Postby Kim S » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:26 am

Usually they love a good scratch. With training you can teach them to enjoy being held aswell.

But I need to warn you. If that parrot isnt tame at all, it could take forever for you to even get it to eat out of your hands. I would start asking questions at the store first.
How old is the bird. Why is it there. Why isnt it sold. Is it handraised, or parentraised. Did it used to be a pet or a breeding bird? ect
Kika: Senegal Parrot.
Guus: Cockatiel, Yellowcheek, cinnamon, pearl, pied.
Kim S
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal (1)

Postby Michael » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:37 am

Erithacus wrote:Another question, does Senegal likes to be pet or cuddled?

Yes. Mine can't stay off of me. She keeps flying up to me and bending her head down to get pet. However, they only like it in moderation and if you overdo it, they will probably bite.

Now of course with proper taming/training other people can hold the bird. But regardless, a very strong preference is apparent. You can control yourself but you cannot necessarily control other people. This is another reason the bird will tend to dislike other people because someone out of the visitors "not-you people" is bound to scare the bird and then it will distrust most people besides you.
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Brittanyv326 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:29 am

1. Is Senegal a friendly parrot that will allow strangers to pet?

Mine is not. I've been working on training her, but even my boyfriend who is not a stranger is unable to go near her. After a few bites, she will sometimes step up for him but has never let him pet her.

2. Is Senegal afraid of bigger bird like my Grey?

I was under the impression that Senegals really didn't get along well with any other parrot species. But Michael is proving us wrong. :)

3. Is Senegal playful?

My Senegal is VERY playful, she loves all of her toys, mostly the ones she can destroy though.

4. Interaction wise, would a Senegal bond with all family members?

It would take a lot of really hard work. I've been trying the whole time I've had Sadie and have yet to succeed. She bonded with me. I think she prefers women, though I don't have enough girl friends to confirm this.
Another question, does Senegal likes to be pet or cuddled?

Mine LOVES scratches and totally relaxes when I hold her on her back. I'd say she's pretty cuddly, but as Michael said, if you overdo it, she'll let you know. I can't pet her without her asking to be pet but she asks to be pet several times daily.

I'd be extremely nervous of buying a Senegal who is not tame.
Brittanyv326
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal.

Postby Erithacus » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:15 pm

Thanks for the answers. Tame Senegals are not available at our pet stores. I previously had a few wild caught blue rumped parrots. They did get tame within months. A friend of mine could tame a wild caught long tailed parakeet in 1 week. Another friend of mine bought a wild Grey (breeding pair, not wild caught). Surprisingly he managed to tame the grey in 2 months and the bird allowed strangers to pet her. I wouldn't mind buying a not tame Senegal. It is pretty cheap here, slightly more than $100.

From your answers, I think the character of a Senegal is like a mini Grey. :gray: :senegal:
Kilaya ...cag
Erithacus
Amazon

Postby Kim S » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:54 am

I think Greys are way more complicated. I have known a few and they are pretty high maintanance. They require a lot of attention and handling to become well adapted birds, and you need to work with them to keep them from becoming bored.

Senegals are very capable of entertaining themselves. They dont need to be with you every second of the day.
Ofcourse this doesnt mean that you can put him in a corner and forget about him! But I think you know what I mean.
Kika: Senegal Parrot.
Guus: Cockatiel, Yellowcheek, cinnamon, pearl, pied.
Kim S
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal (1)

Next

Return to Parrot Species