Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

What would you do?

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

What would you do?

Postby babydoll101 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:51 pm

I am getting another bird. I have a chance to get one of two birds. A Senegal or a Sun Conure. I have a conure now but I still don't know what to do. The Senegal is coming from someone I trust. I don't personally know her but I have been communicating for a month now with facebook and emails. If there is anything I need to know about her I can find that out. She doesn't come with her cage but I have one for her, only I am going to have to move my conure (maybe). I will be paying $280 for her. She is 3 years old. Very tame.
So now there is the Sun conure. He is 2 years old. Found him on kijiji. The family is selling him so they can travel more. They say he is great. He is $200 and also coming with a big playtop cage and all accessories. If it came down to money obviously the conure is the better deal. But I am still torn:( Oh I forgot to mention one point that I picked up after talking with the woman with the Senegal, she said her family has been getting annoyed with the noise the Senegal is making. Ahhhh help me decide please!!!
babydoll101
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Crimson Bellied Conure, Peach Faced Lovebird, Cockatiel hen
Flight: Yes

Re: What would you do?

Postby lainmai » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:04 pm

If noise is a major factor in NOT getting the Senegal than I'd avoid the Sun at all cost. I've found they are well known as being very loud and noisy for their size. The one downside to the spectacular looks. Kijiji offers some good deals as well as good animals from good homes....but a lot of bad ones too. Either way I'd be cautious and if your really undecided than do a bit more in depth research and/or talk to people who own Sennies and/or Suns to help you decide.
Owned by 2 Parrotlets (Minoru & Midori) and 1 Senegal (Tobi)
lainmai
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Pacific Parrotlet, Senegal

Postby Michael » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:09 pm

The Senegal will terrorize your existing flock. Be careful. I can almost guarantee you the Sun Conure is noisier though. If people are complaining about the noise from a Senegal which is considered a "quiet, apartment parrot" then they have no idea about Sun Conures and parrots in general.
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby babydoll101 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:28 pm

The noise factor doesn't bother me or anyone in my family. Our lovebird and CB Conure can be pretty vocal at times:) I actually LOVE it! When it comes to research believe me I have done a TONE of it and finding out what people think that already have the species is why I asked the question on this forum. I knew I would get some intelligent replies.
babydoll101
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: Crimson Bellied Conure, Peach Faced Lovebird, Cockatiel hen

Postby babydoll101 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:31 pm

Michael wrote:The Senegal will terrorize your existing flock. Be careful. I can almost guarantee you the Sun Conure is noisier though. If people are complaining about the noise from a Senegal which is considered a "quiet, apartment parrot" then they have no idea about Sun Conures and parrots in general.

And that is what is making me question my decision. If it had been the Sun that was noisy, it wouldn't have bothered me at all. But for them to say the Senegal is noisy then I am completely unsure still:(
babydoll101
Parrotlet

Postby lainmai » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:41 pm

Well, don't know if it'd help any but I have 2 Parrotlets and a Sennie already and have Sun Conures on my "short list" should I wind up getting a 4th bird (2nd tame, my 'Lets are breeders) along with Meyers, another 'Let or a Gray (yes, I know they are 4 totally different birds let alone massive difference in sizes)
Owned by 2 Parrotlets (Minoru & Midori) and 1 Senegal (Tobi)
lainmai
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Pacific Parrotlet, Senegal

Postby Kim S » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:00 am

I would say, trust your gut feeling. Go visit both birds and see which one you have a connection with. That should be the deciding factor.
Kika: Senegal Parrot.
Guus: Cockatiel, Yellowcheek, cinnamon, pearl, pied.
Kim S
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal (1)

Postby lzver » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:30 am

The first piece of advice I can give you is go and visit both birds and see for yourself how they are. I'm in the process of adopting a little 2-year old Meyers parrot and for personal reasons she's not coming home to live with us until October, but my husband and I went to meet Kylie before making our final decision. In fact the current owner of Kylie would not consider an adoption without us visiting Kylie first. And I'm also making 4 -5 visits to get to know Kylie better and try to build a bond with her before I bring her home.

I don't have experience with any kind of Conure, but I have heard from fellow parrot owners that Conures, especially Sun Conures can be very noisy! My Senegal has moments where he is loud, but it's not all day long! I also have figured out ways to distract him from making so much noise ... like doing training with him, providing foraging toys or something for him to play with.

It sounds like the owners of the Senegal can't compare the noise level to another type of parrot. Everyone's tolerance for noise is different. What may seem loud to them, probably wouldn't bother someone like myself that has gotten used to some kind of constant background noise from the birds. When we have guests over they sometimes complain about the noise my two are making and I honestly don't even notice the noise because I'm so used to it.

Again, I would recommend visiting both birds and then consider making a decision.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers

Postby Natacha » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:21 pm

Ok...so it seems to me that you are considering either the Senegal or the Sun Conure because they are available now and the upfront cost of each of them is relatively on the low side (why specify cost otherwise..)

Now, do tell, what ARE you LOOKING for in a second bird?

If neither of these birds was available now, what species would you be looking at? What are you looking for in a bird??

Senegal and Sun Conures are totally different type of birds. Quite honestly, when I was looking for my second parrot before looking at species I drew up a list of what I wanted in a bird. My requirements suited the Senegal much MUCH more than any type of Conure.

Put the money factor on the side and for the moment, forget that these two birds are available now. What you should focus on now is what you want in a second bird before buying one.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby skeetersunconure » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:31 pm

lainmai wrote:If noise is a major factor in NOT getting the Senegal than I'd avoid the Sun at all cost. I've found they are well known as being very loud and noisy for their size.

hey i have a sunconure they really are not as loud as everyone thinks or at least skeeter isnt personality wise theya reg reat. skeeter screams a little bit around 12 in the afternoon and a little bit midafternoon and some at night i hardly notice anymore. he is so affectionate i love him!
skeetersunconure
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: sun conure

Next

Return to Parrot Species