Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

First bird?

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

First bird?

Postby garou97 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:41 pm

Hello! I have been interested in birds since I was really little, and now I'm ready for one. I've done a lot of research particularly on budgies and cockatiels. Currently, I'm leaning towards a cockatiel. I have a few cockatiel sized cages I'm considering, as well. Unfortunately, because I have had and am allergic to cats, ferrets, guinea pigs and rabbits; I'm afraid I'll be allergic to cockatiels or other birds. Do you think I will be allergic, and do you think I should get a budgie, cockatiel, or something else? :? Thank you in advance!
garou97
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: Yes

Re: First bird?

Postby Michael » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:47 pm

Cockatiels tend to make a lot more dust so not a good bird for serious allergy problems. You may still be allergic to budgerigars but at least they are smaller so by volume there would be less allergen.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby ptuga72 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:53 pm

I have asthma/allergies too. Fortunately I am not allergic to animals, but am very sensitive to dust. This is one reason why I chose oily birds. My green cheek, eclectus and cherry heads have little to no dust, which is great for me.

I also know people with allergies and cockatiels that have no problems. You can minimize the dust by allowing him/her to bath daily/every other day, misting the substrate of the cage with water before changing (it keeps the dust from going air borne), changing/cleaning the cage every day, having an air filter in the same room as the bird, and vacuuming frequently.

Another option is if you know someone with the kind of bird you want go visit. Interact with the bird see how you do. I don't know if there is, but is there a way to get tested for a bird/dust allergy? I know you can get tested for cats, dogs, and most pollens, but I don't know for birds.
Many have forgotten this truth, but you must not forget it.
You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
-Antoine de Saint Exupery
ptuga72
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Female Eclectus, 1 Green Cheek Conure, 2 Cherry-Headed Conures (fosters)
Flight: No

Postby garou97 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:07 pm

Thanks, and ptuga72, I think I'll try that. The pet store doesn't bother me, but who knows. Are Conures or Electus good beginner birds?
garou97
Parrotlet

Postby lainmai » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:52 pm

garou97 wrote:Thanks, and ptuga72, I think I'll try that. The pet store doesn't bother me, but who knows. Are Conures or Electus good beginner birds?

Some conures, yes - I'd be more inclined to say a Green Cheek would be best.
Electus need an experienced owner, no different than a Macaw or a Cockatoo, Amazon, Grey, etc.
Owned by 2 Parrotlets (Minoru & Midori) and 1 Senegal (Tobi)
lainmai
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Pacific Parrotlet, Senegal

Postby garou97 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:48 pm

Okay, but now the question is should I get a Cockatiel, Budgie, or Green Cheek?
garou97
Parrotlet

Postby Giantmoa » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:58 pm

what are you looking for in a bird? what noise level is okay for you? do you want a cuddly bird? make a list of what you want and see which bird fits your lifestyle the best
good luck finding a bird!personally I think all three are great lil parrots
:gcc: Rainbow
Giantmoa
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure

Postby sidech » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:05 pm

I'm allergic to anything with fur or feathers. I have asthma too, and use my pumps everyday.

I have 2 dogs, 1 Brown Head parrot. My brown head has made my asthma worse, but not to the point where I would give up on him. I actually think I'll get used to him a bit and it will get better.

I had a cockatiel for a few weeks not too long ago, and I just could not tolerate him. There is no comparison between how I felt with the cockatiel, compared to my Brown head, which is actually bigger, but a lot less dusty.

If I were you, I would go to a pet store and handle a cockatiel for at leat an hour before making a decision. Then try another specie to compare.
sidech
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Red Sided Eclectus

Postby Kim S » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:09 am

Like everybody else already poited out. Go handle the birds. Theres only one way to find out.
I know a friend of mine who is allergic to cockatiels. He has a large aviary in his backyar an he's fine with that. He can have a few of them in home as well, but no more than two. Any more and it triggers his allergy. So you might be fine with one bird of any species.
Kika: Senegal Parrot.
Guus: Cockatiel, Yellowcheek, cinnamon, pearl, pied.
Kim S
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal (1)

Postby ptuga72 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:02 am

Another option is to see if there is a companion bird rescue near you. You could always become a foster parront to the species you're interested in. That way you can see how your allergies are with the bird in your home, and how you like that specific species. Maybe you'll find the bird you're looking for (or not looking for :lol: )
Many have forgotten this truth, but you must not forget it.
You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
-Antoine de Saint Exupery
ptuga72
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Female Eclectus, 1 Green Cheek Conure, 2 Cherry-Headed Conures (fosters)

Next

Return to Parrot Species