Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Poicephalus vs Pionus

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Re: Poicephalus vs Pionus

Postby pchela » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:47 pm

Hmmm... I thought they had a good sense of smell. Now I'm gonna have to research! Thanks a lot guys!
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)
Flight: Yes

Postby lzver » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:46 am

pchela wrote:They do smell really good! So do Amazons.

Actually, almost all birds have a nice smell to them but some are stronger or sweeter than others. I wonder why they have that smell?

I love the way Jessie smells :) When I'm cuddling him and giving him kisses, I'm also smelling him. It may seem very weird to non-bird people, but that smell is a comfort to me. I like the way Lucy smells as well but she doesn't tolerate the cuddling for very long where Jessie would cuddle with me all day long if I let him.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers

Postby thegreatkatsby » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:49 pm

I think my Amazon smells like honey... sometimes maple syrup. My Pionus has a sweet little smell too. It's so cute!
thegreatkatsby
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: White-Capped Pionus
Meyers Parrot

Postby Azure Hanyo » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:30 pm

I don't have a poi or a pi but...my caique smells like fruit juice.

:lol:
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Postby a.susz » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:26 am

of course i'll give my 2 cents... i've got both. :lol:

for my senegal, he has drawn blood on people he doesn't like from day one. He has always been this way. Even when upset at me he will hang on until he is satisfied it will leave a scar. jk but seriously.. ;)

He is not "cuddly" at all and is extremely independent. He loves for you to let him out onto a play area, but thats the extent of it. If anyone, including my self and my boyfriend, approach him like we are going to move him again, he becomes VERY upset. But its just a fear of being put away again, he just wants to be out to play, but he warns very well. :thumbsup:

My red belly is a silly little girl, she is my cuddle bug. If she could, she would sit with me all day for scratches, and even lets me inspect her all over, beak to tail. She tolerates being picked up by anyone else, and if she decides to bite(usually ONLY if that person tries to pet her) her bites are only nips, and has never broken skin once.

My pi! what an energizer bunny, seriously the exact opposite of a couch potato, i can't imagine someone calling him that. When someone new arrives or he is frightened, he freezes like a statue until he feels safe again, but he is constantly on the move other wise. Up and down ropes, he uses all corners of his cage, explores the outside all day, dancing with his own shadow when the lamps are on for the afternoon/night. just a few examples, but this guy never quits. Especially for bed time. When the others are snuggled in their sleep perches, he begins his routine "monkey crawl" on the roof of his cage for about 15 minutes until the lights go out.

He loves head scratches very much, but does NOT appreciate his wings being touched at all.

Noise wise they are all even, but my senegal is LOUD when he wants to be. If you are home and he knows it, you BETTER let him out, or else... :lol:

BTW nice to hear from someone in such a different place, i have relatives in Warsaw, Poland :D
-Annaleza- and--
Peanut , the sennie
Baby, the red belly
Odin, the bronze wing pi
Loki, the bronze wing pi our new addition :)
http://www.annaleza.blogspot.com
a.susz
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal, Red Belly, Bronze Wing Pionus x2

Postby MandyG » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:35 am

pchela wrote:They do smell really good! So do Amazons.

I find that the Amazon smell is hit and miss with people. I love the smell of mine but I have one friend that can't stand it.

My Conure smells very sweet. I'm not sure if that's a scent left over from the house he used to live in or if that's just him. I guess I'll see if he still smells that way in a couple of months.
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby lzver » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:58 am

a.susz wrote:for my senegal, he has drawn blood on people he doesn't like from day one. He has always been this way. Even when upset at me he will hang on until he is satisfied it will leave a scar. jk but seriously.. ;)

He is not "cuddly" at all and is extremely independent. He loves for you to let him out onto a play area, but thats the extent of it. If anyone, including my self and my boyfriend, approach him like we are going to move him again, he becomes VERY upset. But its just a fear of being put away again, he just wants to be out to play, but he warns very well. :thumbsup:

My red belly is a silly little girl, she is my cuddle bug. If she could, she would sit with me all day for scratches, and even lets me inspect her all over, beak to tail. She tolerates being picked up by anyone else, and if she decides to bite(usually ONLY if that person tries to pet her) her bites are only nips, and has never broken skin once.

Your Senegal and Red Bellied are the complete opposite to mine. My Senegal is my little cuddle monkey and would cuddle with me all day if I let him. Lucy my Red Bellied is my independent bird ... she loves coming out and will tolerate head scratches for short periods of time ... but she just wants to be left alone to play. I love how they all have their different personalities :)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers

Postby a.susz » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:39 pm

lzver wrote:
Your Senegal and Red Bellied are the complete opposite to mine. My Senegal is my little cuddle monkey and would cuddle with me all day if I let him. Lucy my Red Bellied is my independent bird ... she loves coming out and will tolerate head scratches for short periods of time ... but she just wants to be left alone to play. I love how they all have their different personalities :)

VERY funny... yes i love how their personalities are so different from bird to bird. i love our shared bird thing we got going on :lol:
-Annaleza- and--
Peanut , the sennie
Baby, the red belly
Odin, the bronze wing pi
Loki, the bronze wing pi our new addition :)
http://www.annaleza.blogspot.com
a.susz
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal, Red Belly, Bronze Wing Pionus x2

Postby Veronika » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:11 pm

Oh, I'm so sorry guys, I totally forgot about posting here, I went for a holiday the day after posting this, then was moving into college dorms and stuff...

Thanks everyone for your advice, you're all so nice. I didn't expect so many replies at all! This forum is sooo friendly ;)
I'm still not sure what breed I'm more like getting though. I'm pretty indecisive and every single parrot has a different personality just like humans do so I really can't decide in advance. I'm currently thinking of getting a rescue bird but who knows, I might as well be getting a hendicapped budgie from a pet store (I always feel that strange urge to save ill/hendicapped animals)...
So thanks everyone for your replies, I learned a lot about how different birds' personalities are ;)
Veronika
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Previous

Return to Parrot Species