Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Cape Vocalizations?

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Cape Vocalizations?

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:18 pm

So far, aside from one very distict and startling "Hello!", the majority of the sounds Scotty makes are variations on a squeaky/beepy/peepy call. Is this his contact call? He also used a very similar but far louder and more piercing version when we first started driving home, so I hope it's not strictly a distress call! He does also make a clicky-clucky sound, similar to one Scooter makes, but less frequently. Anyway, I'm just curious what the normal vocalizations are. He was absolutely silent in the shop and he is pretty quiet most of the time.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Re: Cape Vocalizations?

Postby a.susz » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:01 am

He could just be nervous--- a new home is a big change for him, he's been at that shop for 3 years(correct?). Give him time to adjust to your schedule, he will come into his own and probably learn even more calls, or begin to quiet down. Most small parrots are able to learn when to be quiet and when to be loud(like when you arrive home, they can't help but be excited to see you! :D )

I have also noticed that small parrots(pi's, pois, and caiques even) tend to be mimickers rather than have their own contact calls. My guys sound like cockatiels usually(due to living with one at my in laws)
and even the shop birds i have seen are like this-- our white cap pionus we have at the moment sounds like a sun conure most of the time---but then again he's competing with mollucans and macaws for heaven sakes! I'm sure he feels like he needs to be heard. ;)
-Annaleza- and--
Peanut , the sennie
Baby, the red belly
Odin, the bronze wing pi
Loki, the bronze wing pi our new addition :)
http://www.annaleza.blogspot.com
a.susz
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal, Red Belly, Bronze Wing Pionus x2
Flight: Yes

Re: Cape Vocalizations?

Postby Azure Hanyo » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:02 am

a.susz wrote: I have also noticed that small parrots(pi's, pois, and caiques even) tend to be mimickers rather than have their own contact calls. My guys sound like cockatiels usually(due to living with one at my in laws)

YES. My caique sounds like my tiel, a human baby (siiigh) and has one "caique" vocalization: the smoke-alarm cry when she misses me. She also does this very very very loud "raaaaack" noise that sounds like a cockatoo, I think she picked that up when she was at the rescue.

Entranced- he will get louder....trust me.

:lol:
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Flight: Yes

Return to Parrot Species