Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Green-cheeked Amazon parrots

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Green-cheeked Amazon parrots

Postby Rue » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:13 pm

My amazon parrot is a Green-cheeked Amazon, Amazona viridigenalis
(AKA Mexican Red-headed, AKA Red-crowned - not to be confused with another species of Amazon sometimes also called the Red-crowned, Amazona rhodocorytha) .

When we got her I was wanting an older parrot in need of a good home. I didn't have a particualr species preference. Ever was beautiful though, I was quite awed by her appearance, both in the photo, and then in real life. She's a great bird too, not demanding, easy-going, affectionate (er, with me that is), eats well, loves to be out and about with me, not destructive (as parrots go), etc.. The only drawback is her loudness (typical Amazon), for the most part I don't mind (the rest of the family isn't quite as tolerant, but still okay with it ).

What I find a little odd though, despite reading statements such as "very popular in the pet trade" is the relative lack of information out there about them. Over the last 5 years I've run into 2 people on-line that also have one...but they had nothing much to offer up about them.

I wonder why there's so little information to be had?

They're not known to be great talkers, although some can speak well. Ever isn't much of talker at all. But that's really the only reason I can come up with. Yet there are other amazons that aren't talkers that are easier to find info. on.

Anyone have any ideas? Just curious as to what someone else may think.
Every parrot has a duty: To reduce the world to toothpicks.
Rue
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels -2 hens
Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped
African Grey, Red-tailed (CAG)
Flight: Yes

Re: Green-cheeked Amazon parrots

Postby Rrrma » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:51 pm

I've found the same thing with Hardy, the Lilac Crown Amazon I recently adopted. He was actually paired with a MRH/GCA to mate with, but they never produced(oh, I wonder why? :P ).

The only thing I can think of is maybe because they don't talk but do yell a lot. People seem to be more tolerant of parrots who yell, if they are good talkers too. There likely has just never been much demand for them in the pet world, so breeders never latched onto them and petstores didn't carry them often.

I know I've seen all the yellow versions of amazons in all the petstores I've visited, but never any other kind.

Hardy doesn't talk at all, and he doesn't mimic sounds. He is vocal when he wants to be though.
Sara, birdma to
Rosie(9), Vosmaeri Eclectus
Hardy(20+), Lilac Crown Amazon
Norma(14), Congo African Grey
Trinity(3) and Ginger(1), Normal Grey and White-faced Cinnamon Cockatiels
Rrrma
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Vosmaeri Eclectus, Lilac Crown Amazon, Congo African Grey, and 2 cockatiels(a normal grey and a white faced cinnamon)

Postby Rue » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:16 am

Maybe that`s what it comes down to...they`re LOUD and don`t talk...so I think you`re right...

I`ve only ever seen the `hot three`for sale around here too - which makes me wonder who`s breeding the odd Green-cheeck? Frankly, I find them less attractive than Ever - just if you`re comparing colours etc. So it`s not just about good-looks (although I think all the amazons are good-looking - I like their body shape, beak shape, tail length, etc.)...
Rue
Poicephalus

Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped

Postby Rrrma » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:19 am

Their eyes are what do it for me... they just seem possessed :? I didn't say that! :shock: lol!

Amazons are so beautiful. I spent an hour last night looking through all the different subs. If I were the kind to buy a pet based on looks... I really want a St Vincent! lol!
Sara, birdma to
Rosie(9), Vosmaeri Eclectus
Hardy(20+), Lilac Crown Amazon
Norma(14), Congo African Grey
Trinity(3) and Ginger(1), Normal Grey and White-faced Cinnamon Cockatiels
Rrrma
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Vosmaeri Eclectus, Lilac Crown Amazon, Congo African Grey, and 2 cockatiels(a normal grey and a white faced cinnamon)

Postby lzver » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:36 am

Ever sounds like a beautiful bird. Is she the Amazon pictured in our Avatar picture?

As far as I am concerned, Amazon's are truly beautiful birds. I'd love to eventually own one some day, but I know the possible cons of owning an Amazon and it just isn't the right thing for me and my family right now.

I can't add any info about Green-cheeked Amazon's unfortunately. Hopefully you'll find out more information about them.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers

Postby Rue » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:39 am

LOL...I know what you mean...the first time I saw Ever pinning...it unnerved me...

Now I just watch and gauge the pinning to see how excited she is about something...handy! :mrgreen:

Izver: Yes, Ever is the one in the avatar. The boys are little more dramatic in the head colouring, but not by too much...
Rue
Poicephalus

Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped

Postby MandyG » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:09 pm

Rrrma wrote:Their eyes are what do it for me... they just seem possessed I didn't say that! lol!

I know what you mean! Mojo will go into his full display and strut while pinning his eyes while he's saying "No...." In a very deep, angry voice (I honestly have no idea where he picked it up, he usually sounds like me but when he says 'No' that way it doesn't sound like anybody in my house!). The first time he did it was while he was on his cage looking down at me. I was actually shocked by how scared it made me!

Then I told him to stop being silly and knock it off. He put his wings down and almost looking like a sulking child that was told his halloween costume wasn't scary. :lol:

Back to the original post. Sorry, I haven't been able to find much information on the green-cheeked Amazons.
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby Rue » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:54 pm

..I know...it`s like they`re the Bermuda Triangle of `popular`amazons...LOL...

When we first got Ever she did speak. She would say `Helloooo` in a deep creepy voice...we all thought we had brought an incarnation of Chucky home... :shock:
Rue
Poicephalus

Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped

Postby Azure Hanyo » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:11 pm

Rue wrote:..I know...it`s like they`re the Bermuda Triangle of `popular`amazons...LOL...

When we first got Ever she did speak. She would say `Helloooo` in a deep creepy voice...we all thought we had brought an incarnation of Chucky home... :shock:

BAHAHAHAHAHA sorry to bust into the Amazon thread but... Galileo sounds like Satan. She has a deep, gravelly voice and says a few words like "pretty bird" in a way that makes you think she is out to get you. :shock: But on the flip-size, she also says "Let me out!" in a high-pitched girly voice when she has been in her cage too long. :lol: She doesn't speak very clearly or often, but when she does...it's hilarious.

Go figure.
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Postby Rue » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:30 pm

Nickel (CAG) also says `Let me out!`

She came with that phrase...lol... :lol:
Rue
Poicephalus

Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped

Return to Parrot Species