Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Conures?

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Conures?

Postby jigglesmax » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:45 pm

Hey! So I was reading an article about green-cheeked conures, and it said they are often confused with maroon-bellied cnoures. I looked both of them up, and they look soooo similar to me. Can anyone tell me how to successfully distinguish them from each other?
jigglesmax
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: No

Re: Conures?

Postby Kathleen » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:39 pm

They do look very similar and I think they are very related. I think the differences between them have to do with the green and the red in their tails.
Kathleen
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Flight: Yes

Postby jigglesmax » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:47 pm

Yeah, I read that is was something about a slight coloration difference in their head, tail, and chest. Thanks!
jigglesmax
Parrotlet

Postby YoshiGirl » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:20 pm

The main difference between the two is that Maroon Bellies have a green tail and Green Cheek's have a red tail. Oh, that and Green Cheeks have adorable green cheeks.
YoshiGirl
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure

Postby jigglesmax » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:41 pm

Hahaha, that's true Yoshigirl. (By the way, I LOVE Yoshi). x]
jigglesmax
Parrotlet

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:35 pm

I think the confusion comes from the fact that both have maroon bellies! Here's what the website Avianweb.com has to say:

The Green-cheeked Conure is primarily green, with a grey breast, dark head, maroon tail and blue flight feathers. Its average weight is about 70 g - but the general weight range of this species is between 60 to 80 grams. The average length (including tail) is 10 - 11 inches (25 -27 cm).

They are very similar to the Maroon-bellied Parakeet or Conure (P. frontalis).

And

The Maroon-bellied conure is a smaller bird with an approximate length of 9 - 10 inches (25 to 28cm).

The plumage is primarily green, with a maroon patch on the belly, a yellow-green barred ("scaly") breast and front and sides of neck, brownish ear patch, black beak, and maroon undertail. The primaries (longest wing feathers) are blue on outerwebs, green on innerwebs, and dark on the tips.

The Maroon-bellied Conure is often mistaken for the Green-cheeked conure. They are very similar in disposition and looks. There are some visual differences. The Maroon-bellied conure's tail is a green color on top and lightly maroon colored underneath, while the green Cheek conure's tail has a dark maroon color. The belly is somewhat darker than the Green Cheek's.

There are also a bunch of subspiecies or variants of the Green Cheek, including Yellow-sided and Pineapple...

All I know is that we've had our Scooterbird just less than a week now, and he's a very personable bird! He's a Green-cheeked Conure.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot

Postby Natacha » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:18 pm

Green cheek

Maroon-bellied
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby Lisa » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:41 am

Hello:

We are getting a Jenday conure, and just wondering how big do they get? I read they can be 12 inch's and even up to 19 inches?? can anyone tell me?

Lisa
Lisa
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: jenday conure

Postby pchela » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:35 pm

They won't get up to 19 inches. They may reach 12 but you have to consider the tail in that. Their bodies will be about the same size as a Senegal or similar bird but instead of the short square tails they have nice long tails. That's where the extra inches come in. They should be around 150 grams or so. To give you an idea, Senegals are average 9 inches so just add 3 inches of tail.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby Lisa » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:39 am

pchela wrote:They won't get up to 19 inches. They may reach 12 but you have to consider the tail in that. Their bodies will be about the same size as a Senegal or similar bird but instead of the short square tails they have nice long tails. That's where the extra inches come in. They should be around 150 grams or so. To give you an idea, Senegals are average 9 inches so just add 3 inches of tail.

Hello:

as a reponse to this subject about size, I just got the complete owners manual for conures and I started reading about the size and the diffrent species says that the diffrent ones could be diffrent in size, so I am guessing that ours will only get 12 inches at most.

Lisa
Lisa
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: jenday conure

Return to Parrot Species