Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Cape Parrot Project

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Cape Parrot Project

Postby lzver » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:31 am

Just thought I'd post a link regarding the Cape Parrot Project. There is an article in the September Bird Talk magazine that touches on a PBFD outbreak amongst Cape Parrots in the wild. Testing is showing that over 50% of Cape Parrots in the wild population have PBFD.

http://www.africaskyblue.org/Cape_Parrot.html
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers
Flight: Yes

Re: Cape Parrot Project

Postby Michael » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:46 am

First of all, it's 50% of South African Cape Parrots and not all Cape Parrots. Of course they accept the species change cause then it lets them say 50% of Cape Parrots rather than something like 2%.

I love Cape Parrots and I really hope to see the South African P. robustus robustus population recover, but I really dislike the deceitful methods of this project. Also I heard that if you donate through the various organizations to them, you're lucky if half the money gets there. If anyone is actually interested in donating money, let me know and I'll ask my breeder. She once told me how to send money directly and bypass all the money wasting bureaucracy. I forgot but I can find out for you.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Re: Cape Parrot Project

Postby Cozzy » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:17 pm

I have been following the group for a year, they are doing really well. It is good to see more Cape parrot in the wild.
Cozzy
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Budgie
cape

Return to Parrot Species