Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Is the Conure the best breed for us?

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Re: Is the Conure the best breed for us?

Postby Rrrma » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:17 am

FYI, I sent this person here. She has had cockatiels and is looking for something a little bigger. The bird is really for her, but she wants her family to be able to handle it without a lot of bribing on the bird's part. She is looking for something that just has a naturally friendly and social personality and would be more likely to accept her husband and kids.

Assuming that she could get a conure for that amount, would it be a good pet? I couldn't help her with this as I have never owned a conure myself. I know a lot of people on here have GCCs, so thought you could help.

The bird is mostly for her, but she wants the kids to be able to socialize with it and learn proper care and handling and how to treat animals with respect(this isn't their first family pet, just their first bird with the kids).

A family member is giving them a cage that is appropriate(HQ flight).
Sara, birdma to
Rosie(9), Vosmaeri Eclectus
Hardy(20+), Lilac Crown Amazon
Norma(14), Congo African Grey
Trinity(3) and Ginger(1), Normal Grey and White-faced Cinnamon Cockatiels
Rrrma
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Vosmaeri Eclectus, Lilac Crown Amazon, Congo African Grey, and 2 cockatiels(a normal grey and a white faced cinnamon)
Flight: Yes

Postby Azure Hanyo » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:47 am

Rrrma wrote:FYI, I sent this person here. She has had cockatiels and is looking for something a little bigger. The bird is really for her, but she wants her family to be able to handle it without a lot of bribing on the bird's part. She is looking for something that just has a naturally friendly and social personality and would be more likely to accept her husband and kids.

Assuming that she could get a conure for that amount, would it be a good pet? I couldn't help her with this as I have never owned a conure myself. I know a lot of people on here have GCCs, so thought you could help.

The bird is mostly for her, but she wants the kids to be able to socialize with it and learn proper care and handling and how to treat animals with respect(this isn't their first family pet, just their first bird with the kids).

A family member is giving them a cage that is appropriate(HQ flight).

Ooooh sorry!!!! :oops: I would say a small conure would be great then! GCC would be the way to go, if properly socialized and positively reinforced they are great. :thumbsup:
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Postby Rrrma » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:02 pm

Nah, it's ok. I think another tiel would be good too, but I understand wanting to try something different. I'd heard great things about GCCs from the people here, so hopefully they might be right for her.
Sara, birdma to
Rosie(9), Vosmaeri Eclectus
Hardy(20+), Lilac Crown Amazon
Norma(14), Congo African Grey
Trinity(3) and Ginger(1), Normal Grey and White-faced Cinnamon Cockatiels
Rrrma
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Vosmaeri Eclectus, Lilac Crown Amazon, Congo African Grey, and 2 cockatiels(a normal grey and a white faced cinnamon)

Postby MandyG » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:12 pm

A Green Cheek would likely be perfect by the sounds of it. I believe they're a quieter conure but I've heard they can be quite nippy once they've matured. I have no experience with them myself so I'm not sure how common that is.
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby mella » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:09 pm

I found a Green Cheek Conure breeder near me about 38 miles away. I spoke with him on the phone just a bit ago for awhile. I found his listing here: http://www.birdsnow.com/bird-ad-6892 He said they are now about 5mths old and his price on them now is $100. There are two left. He said we can come visit them any time.

They are going out of business, and their website has been shut down. He said he would provide me referrals if I wanted them. The birds have been hand fed and weaned by a lady that has been handling birds for over 45 years. He said him and his wife also play and handle the birds daily.

Since he is wanting to sell them quickly it sounds, and has had them awhile, would it be wrong to offer him less?

How do I know this is a good person to buy from?

If we go look at them, what am I looking for before buying?
mella
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: None yet, but looking at the Conure breed.
Flight: No

Postby mella » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:18 pm

Rrrma wrote:FThe bird is really for her, but she wants her family to be able to handle it without a lot of bribing on the bird's part. She is looking for something that just has a naturally friendly and social personality and would be more likely to accept her husband and kids.

Right. The bird isn't for my children, nor do I expect them to be "caring" for the bird in any way. If they want to help participate in changing the cage out, or getting fresh water, etc... then that's fine. My husband and I are more wanting a bird, and would love for the kids to be raised around an animal. I don't want a bird that my kids can't handle. It's their choice to handle it, or pet it, but I want a breed that can be somewhat socially accepting to them and also visitors to our home.

My children are only 5 and 6 years old (one is mildly autistic). There is no way I would "buy" them a bird or any other animal to care for at that age. This is my decision and my husbands decision. Not theirs. :thumbsup:
mella
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: None yet, but looking at the Conure breed.

Postby Giantmoa » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:59 pm

I love my gcc but they can be a bit nippy with slightly larger beaks than a cockatiel. If you work with them, green cheek conures can be very sweet, funny and attention-loving birds. Mine loves everybody or at least accepts them without any trouble and is very cuddly. 100$ sounds like a very good deal for a gcc, the ones in my area are about 200-300$
:gcc: Rainbow
Giantmoa
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure

Postby TheNzJessie » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:22 am

Michael wrote:I don't find that most small birds like to be cuddled though. I can't picture any bird typically priced under $500 being particularly cuddly anyway.

i would have to disagree with that michael. price has nothing to do with it. i bet my rainbow is a lot more cuddly than a bird over $500, i would bet money on it
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie

Postby TheNzJessie » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:26 am

Kim S wrote:Most cockaties are. I'm not sure in what price range the senegals, conures and lori's are, but all of those are bound to be cuddlier than budgies.

I know it's a popular opinion, but I dont think budgies are suitable for children. They are fragile birds that dont apreciate the hands on experience most kids are looking for. I'd go with a cockatiel or something larger.

yes kim i agree with that. my lorikeet is defiantly under $500....$120 if people really have to know and i find lorikeets one of the most cuddly birds ever. they will fall asleep cradled in your arm just as an example
Jessie-ME
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Budgie

Postby TheNzJessie » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:29 am

for someone looking for a hands on bird i would defiantly recommend a rainbow lorikeet. they love to wrestle and are also a very cuddly bird. but there diet is a little bit tricker as they are nectar feeders but most pet stores sell food for them.
Jessie-ME
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Budgie

PreviousNext

Return to Parrot Species