Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Right parrot breed for me?

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Re: Right parrot breed for me?

Postby pchela » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:24 pm

I guess I've met good and bad from almost all types of parrots so it really just boils down to the individual bird.

To be fair, all of my GCC experience is with babies that I personally hand raised so of course they loved me and never bit. Once they went to their permanent homes, I don't know what happened. I will say that one of the sweetest birds I've ever met who loved everybody and did not nip was a Rosifrons which is a sub species of the Painted Conure. Maybe look into those? They are even smaller than the GCC and I swear, the one I knew was an amazing bird!
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)
Flight: Yes

Postby Kirsten » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:39 pm

Thanks to ALL of you for the responses! It's really widened my options. We don't really have any bird stores out here that aren't waaay overpriced, but I have been looking into some of the breeders. I still have to go a bit out of the way to see them but one I'm looking at has all sorts of birds for me to see!

As far as the brown headed parrots, I actually JUST found a breeder for them right in my home city! The closest rescue is out in the boonies but I may go there if I don't find that bird I'm looking for. You all have been extremely helpful! If you all still have continued suggestions, I'll still be open to those as well.
Kirsten
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Sun Conure
Flight: No

Postby a.susz » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:44 pm

http://www.parrot-and-conure-world.com/parrot-species-comparison-chart.html

this website has a great list of birds who can be vocal, talk, and be nosiy. nice thing to check out.

Also have you thought about pionus? If your breeder has any be sure to check them out too!!! love those guys. :thumbsup:
-Annaleza- and--
Peanut , the sennie
Baby, the red belly
Odin, the bronze wing pi
Loki, the bronze wing pi our new addition :)
http://www.annaleza.blogspot.com
a.susz
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal, Red Belly, Bronze Wing Pionus x2
Flight: Yes

Previous

Return to Parrot Species