Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Right parrot breed for me?

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Re: Right parrot breed for me?

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:01 pm

Heh, Scotty has actually stopped his morning calling, except for a brief round when first awakened. And Scooter is really quite quiet except when something alarms him or he is desperate for attention. Nyahh, nyahh nyaah nyaah nyaah!
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Postby lzver » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:07 pm

Kim S wrote:Lovebirds can be really really loud!!! :shock: If things dont go their way they will wake up the neighbourhood...
Cockatiels are not that loud, but they are kinda obnoxious :lol: My Guus whistles, squeeks, humms and mumbles the whole day. And every now and they he gest his 5 minutes of maddness and just go wild. But that happens with every species.

Since getting Kika, my senegal, I never thought there could be a quiet parrot. I had prepared myself for earpiercing screeches should he want attention or a fresh foodbowl. But nothing like that! He clicks when he wants attention (like you would click your tongue). He wistles our 'doggycall-whistle' to get me to come over. Its really kinda cute.
Every now and then he will make a high pitched whistle, but its no where near as often as my cockatiel.
The only drawback I would see is that senegals are parrots that tend to bond with one person and dislike the rest. It takes some work to prevent it, but be aware that its just a characteristic of the bird.

I have a Red Belly and Senegal parrot and they may A LOT less noise than my step-daughter's Cockatiel. That bird whistles and talks all day long ... it does tend to grate on my nerves after a while. My step-daughter does not live with us fulltime, so she only brings her Cockatiel when she's going to be at our place for longer than 2 days. On the other hand, her Cockatiel was a hand fed tame baby when we bought him and she spends a lot of time with him and I can't recall a time when he has bitten anyone.

To me, a Red Bell and Senegal are not noisy birds. They have their moments, but we're used to it now. However, when we have company over that aren't used to having birds around, they find them to be quite loud and annoying ... I guess we have just gotten so used to the background noise.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers
Flight: Yes

Postby Rue » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:19 pm

...I'm scared to get bitten by cockatiels! LOL...I've had 2 biters...they always manage to bite you where your fingernails and the skin meet (I'm sure that area has an official name)...OMG...does that ever hurt...and cockatiels are like pit bulls...once they bite they grind and won't let go... :shock:

My hens have been much nicer than the males.

Otherwise I'm fan of GCCs too. Parrotlets and Lineolated parakeets are other options you might want to check out.
Every parrot has a duty: To reduce the world to toothpicks.
Rue
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels -2 hens
Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped
African Grey, Red-tailed (CAG)

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:13 pm

OK, I'm reusing this photo, but a GCC MAY do this...

They are very, very cute.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Postby pchela » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:49 pm

I concur with Entranced... Green Cheeks or any of the Pyhurras are really cool birds and a lot of fun. They can be nippy, but almost all birds will go through a nippy stage. Brown Headed Parrots also have excellent reputations as sweet, loving birds. A hand fed lovebird can be a lovely pet but they have reputations for being aggressive.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby Natacha » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:37 pm

I still maintain that EVERY Green cheek conure I have met has been a nippy bugger. Most of the time, these birds were adults, well past the early nippy stage..and their bites have hurt.

Male Lovebirds (it seems) are definitively sweet little things if kept socialized. I don't think I've ever been truly bitten by Piper and he would spend his day cuddling on me if he could.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby pchela » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:56 pm

Natacha wrote:I still maintain that EVERY Green cheek conure I have met has been a nippy bugger. Most of the time, these birds were adults, well past the early nippy stage..and their bites have hurt.

Male Lovebirds (it seems) are definitively sweet little things if kept socialized. I don't think I've ever been truly bitten by Piper and he would spend his day cuddling on me if he could.

Awww... looks like we need to introduce Natacha to a sweet Green Cheek. I promise they exist! Maybe you and Entranced should meet up so you can hang with Scooter.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby Natacha » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:03 pm

pchela wrote:
Natacha wrote:I still maintain that EVERY Green cheek conure I have met has been a nippy bugger. Most of the time, these birds were adults, well past the early nippy stage..and their bites have hurt.

Awww... looks like we need to introduce Natacha to a sweet Green Cheek. I promise they exist! Maybe you and Entranced should meet up so you can hang with Scooter.

Maybe.
But so far, I've had no luck with finding any "none-nippy" GCC around here, not any really nice Quakers (except for one who was a baby so...)

And...I've been bitten by a Moluccan cockatoo and I have to say, the pain of that bite didn't really match those nips given by GCC. The Moluccan's bite was intense when it happened but ended when he let go. The GCC...the pain stays longer.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby a.susz » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:19 pm

worst bite i ever got was from a black capped caique( no offense galileo! :lol: ) and second my own senegal. I was bit by a mollucan too natacha, and yes the little bird bites hurt waaay worse!! even macaws typically just nip to get their point across, then let go.

anyways back on topic.... i think any bird that is bought very young and well, WELL socialized is going to be a great pet. Every bird is different when it comes to being nippy and/or loud. You will find the right bird eventually. I suggest visiting a bird store or a breeder or a rescue and asking to hold many different kinds of birds you are interested in. Alot of times the bird will pick you, not you pick the bird. My red belly picked me in this way. I had absolutely NO intention of getting another bird, I even tried selling her ALOT since i was the only one able to handle her at work, but i soon realized she would not go to any one because she loved me! :roll:
-Annaleza- and--
Peanut , the sennie
Baby, the red belly
Odin, the bronze wing pi
Loki, the bronze wing pi our new addition :)
http://www.annaleza.blogspot.com
a.susz
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal, Red Belly, Bronze Wing Pionus x2

Postby pyrrhuraphile » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:20 pm

You know what though, my GCC doesn't nip ME, but I bet she would nip YOU! Nothing personal, it's just that if I am honest, she IS a nippy little bugger, to those she doesn't know!

As far as the OP goes, if we are recommending Pyrrhura's in general, I can also personally recommend the Crimson Bellied Conure to be as awesome as a GCC, and possibly less nippy.

You people say you are tempted by Green Cheeks like it's a BAD thing!
I say, just give in to temptation, you won't regret it...
:thumbsup:
pyrrhuraphile
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheeked Conure, Blue Crowned Conure

PreviousNext

Return to Parrot Species