Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Question about Meyer's Parrots.

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Re: Question about Meyer's Parrots.

Postby pchela » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:39 pm

Maybe you should save that drink for your husband when he realizes that when you said "foster" what you meant was "bird who will be called foster until I can convince you to let me keep him honey". :mrgreen:
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)
Flight: Yes

Postby GooseBlossom » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:27 pm

Or maybe the bird's name is Foster?
GooseBlossom
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue Peach-Faced Lovebird

Postby Azure Hanyo » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:52 pm

Oh you ladies are a riot!!! :lol:

Update:

When we arrived to see the Meyer's (Whose name is currently Jovie) the owner seemed to genuinely care about her, which I honestly was NOT expecting. She had her cage set up in a way she thought made it easier for Jovie to get around. I personally have not dealt with a handicapped parrot before, but I don't think the cage is good for her, but I am posting pics and if you have opinions please let me hear them. I want her in a suitable cage that will give her more movement. She likes to climb along the sides, and is quite the acrobat! (the corners of her current cage are plastic which...obviously...she can't grip with her feet).

Jovie's owner told me she is a 1 year old bird she purchased from someone who got her at a bird fair, and that her hatchdate is 9/10/09. She is eating Zupreem small parrot fluit blend as well as fresh fruits and veggies daily.

So far so good, yeah? She seemed like a very good owner until she went to get Jovie out of the cage. I am thinking she was trying to be considerate of Jovie's deformity, but I think Jovie deserves some credit. She is very spirited. Anyway the owner towels her to get her out of the cage, and as soon as Jovie saw the towel her eyes pinned and she did a mini freak-out, and it was quite obvious she did NOT like being toweled. (Who would?)

Her first greeting of me went thusly: the owner sat her down to perch on the open cage door. I approached her and let her see my hand, which she began to beak immediately. And then- CHOMP. She didn't draw blood, but she gave me a good, solid warning nip which I had been expecting. Her bites are so teeny compared to Galileo's that I actually giggled, and the owner looked at me like I was just a tad nutso, but told me I looked like I would be great for her.
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Postby Azure Hanyo » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:58 pm

(Continued...for some reason, it wouldn't let me type more.)

So upon realizing that Jovie would need extensive work with learning that being freed of her cage is not a bad thing- as well as socialization of the same kind Galileo and I are working on... I realized I am not ready to take on so much work. So, naturally, I brought her home.

Yeah.

Here is more Jovie:

You can tell in the picture that her right leg splays out to the side. Honestly, she doesn't seem to notice. And she makes the CUTEST little peep-peeping noises. I know she must be scared and nervous, but I kid you not she started to preen herself on the car-ride home and play with her toys. I was amazed. She did lunge at me and try to bite when I lifted the cage to carry her inside, but that is completely understandable...

Wish me luck with my um...foster. Who I plan on re-naming... Maybe. But I don't want to get too attached.

*head-desk*
Last edited by Azure Hanyo on Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Postby pchela » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:01 pm

Hooray! I'm so glad you rescued her from the evil towel!

Poor little bird! That cage is not suitable for a Meyers in the first place, let alone one with a disability! She is awfully cute though. If all she did was give you a warning nip and did not draw blood, I'd be willing to bet that in a few months she'll be as sweet as can be. She just needs somebody to treat her with love and respect instead of toweling her out of fear of being bitten. So, you'll just have to tell your husband there is a rehabilitation period before you can find her a home... :thumbsup:

I wish you lived closer.... I would so loan you one of my extra cages until you could find something suitable.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Red Belly - Nicholas

Postby Azure Hanyo » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:06 pm

pchela wrote:Hooray! I'm so glad you rescued her from the evil towel!

Poor little bird! That cage is not suitable for a Meyers in the first place, let alone one with a disability! She is awfully cute though. If all she did was give you a warning nip and did not draw blood, I'd be willing to bet that in a few months she'll be as sweet as can be. She just needs somebody to treat her with love and respect instead of toweling her out of fear of being bitten. So, you'll just have to tell your husband there is a rehabilitation period before you can find her a home... :thumbsup:

I wish you lived closer.... I would so loan you one of my extra cages until you could find something suitable.

What kind of cage would be good?- just a normal cage with tons of perches? I am moving Gal to her bigger cage soon when I get all of the necessities set up, and her old cage isn't too bad! I think it's 18" x 25" or something, I don't know for sure. (I don't have my tape-measure, I lost it...lol!!!!)

And thank you for your support! I am very excited about this, I hope I do good by this little birdie and can find her a great home. And I plan on keeping her until she will come willingly out of her cage, doesn't bite me or my husband, and will tolerate others. So...maybe for awhile...

:?
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Postby pchela » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:18 pm

Hmmm.... you'll have to watch her and see what's easiest for her in terms of moving around. Does she only climb around on the cage bars or does she use perches? Does she seem to have trouble moving around? Does she fall often?

I bet Gals old cage would be fine... maybe put a towel for a cushion on the bottom just in case she tends to fall and start out with enough perches so that she can easily get to all of the important places without too much effort. If they seem to be in her way, just remove some of the. My Meyers with the bad leg got around fine and required almost no special accommodations. She did have a tent which she liked to sleep in (I think it was nice for her to not have to perch to sleep) and I also put in a couple of flat perches and ledges so she'd have some flat places to stand rather than perching all of the time. Maybe something like that would be good for her.

Good luck! You're going to be a great foster mom!
pchela
African Grey

Red Belly - Nicholas

Postby Azure Hanyo » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:59 pm

Excellent suggestions! :D She has only one perch in the cage she's in right now and she uses it to sleep (that is what he owner said) and holds onto the bars with her other foot. I will definitely look into flat perches and more things to furnish Gal's old cage with. I bet she will enjoy it a lot more than the one she's in now. :thumbsup:
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Postby Titanius » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:48 pm

Wow nice pics! Should have looked here first bahaha. Meyer's are cool looking birds. I've never actually seen a cage like that either.
Titanius
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel

Postby Azure Hanyo » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:53 pm

Titanius wrote:Wow nice pics! Should have looked here first bahaha. Meyer's are cool looking birds. I've never actually seen a cage like that either.

Honestly... I THINK IT IS A HAMSTER CAGE!!!!!!! :shock: It is an awful cage...lmao! But I really do think the owner meant well, I truly do.
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

PreviousNext

Return to Parrot Species