Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Senegal Parrot Information and FAQ

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Re: Senegal Parrot Information and FAQ

Postby Mecnun » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:02 am

Wolf wrote:Well, let's start by dropping down and starting our own topic here in the Species forum. I will go ahead and start it and try to answer you further in the new topic. I will call it Zeus ? , Look for it.

okey . thank you .
Mecnun
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
Flight: Yes

Postby JML » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:11 am

Hello, Can anyone tell me about how loud senegals can be? I have an apartment. I had a bee bee and he was shrill enough throughout the day to annoy neighbors. I visited some 3-month old senegals at a store who are quiet and I was told that they are quiet birds. I cam concerned about loud shrill noises. I have read that senegals can be loud 1-2 times a day. If anyone has input please let me know. Thank you.
JML
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Canary Bee Bee
Flight: No

Postby seagoatdeb » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:39 pm

Of the small Pois and I have been around most of them, the Senegals are the loudest but you can have them in an apartment. There are some people who have Senegals who call for them every morning to wake them up, and right now i have a Meyers who does that. How you can solve that for an apartment with thin walls is to get a small sleeping cage and let them sleep in your bedroom and then bring them out to their big cage to eat in the morning. If you have a Senegal who needs more attention and calls you during he day you can have a perch set up in rooms you go in....and teach them to stay on the perch, and that will keep them quiet. Your apartment may have good walls and the sound doesn't go through them and then you dont need to do anything. My point is it can be handled. Small pois are suitable for apartments.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Postby Paulo » Sun Aug 20, 2023 5:45 am

Hello to all. I'm from Madeira Island. Just found (2023) this (great) forum, hopping that it's still on. I have a question, particularly for those who keep the Senegal in aviaries: how do you deal with the Winter? I suppose in some places you have negative temperatures. In almost of the lower lands in Madeira we have between a minimum 10/15° celsius in winter. This is acceptable for a Senegal?
Thanks in advance...
Paulo
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Postby Pajarita » Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:19 am

Hi, Paulo and sennies, welcome to the forum. Unfortunately, sennies need a tropical climate with the lowest temperature being 17 C. So a 10 C temperature over a number of nights is not good for them. They will most likely, survive it but it will kill them eventually.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Paulo » Sun Aug 20, 2023 2:29 pm

Thanks for the answer.
I will have to put them indoor on the coldest days or at least on certain nights.
Anyway I have an aviary with 2.30 m high and 1.90 in diameter. I guess it will be enough
Paulo
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Postby Pajarita » Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:01 am

I suggest you bring them inside every night during the colder months. It doesn't pay to strain their immune systems with cold...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Previous

Return to Parrot Species