Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Budgerigar FAQ

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Re: Budgerigar FAQ

Postby Avialae » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:26 am

Great info, although I don't agree at all on only keeping one budgie. I would strongly discourage it. In fact it's even illegal where i live due to animal welfare issues.
If your birds lose their tameness because you keep 2 or more, that's a clear sign you weren't spending enough time with them in the first place, i'd say.

I've always kept budgies in pairs/flocks of 2 or more, and would never dream of keeping them alone. They are way more active and happy that way since, as you already said, they are highly social animals. There's a clear difference in the wellbeing of singly kept birds vs. birds that live with other budgies. (Studies show less stereotypic behaviour, more healthy behaviour, more playbehaviours and less indicators of stress in budgies not kept singly.) All my budgies and tiels have been parent fed, flighted, kept in pairs or small flocks, were very tame, some trick trained, and they all loved to hang out with me.
That's the most common setup in sweden as a whole, and there's no shortage of wonderful pet budgies here. :)
Avialae
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: Jardines, Senegals
Flight: Yes

Postby cornettocockatiel » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:29 am

parrotlover wrote:
Jorge wrote:Kathleen, you're just brainiac! thank you so much!

She's just good like that LoL! :lol:

LOL!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
cornettocockatiel
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Budgie
Chicken
Cockatiel

Postby cornettocockatiel » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:18 pm

Thanks! Very informative!
cornettocockatiel
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Budgie
Chicken
Cockatiel

Postby Arshia » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:28 pm

Every single youtube video in the first post has been deleted. =P
Arshia
Lovebird

Postby AlbertaAviary » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:14 pm

As I read this, I could hear my birds chirping from their cage! I guess they want to be let out now, LOL. :flapping:
AlbertaAviary
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Budgies
Flight: No

Postby Tanika2171 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:00 pm

So I have a female budgie, she is alittle nippy it's just hard not saying ow! Her beak is very sharp but how could I get her to simmer down alittle?
Tanika2171
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Budgie(parakeet)
Flight: No

Postby CaitlinRice413 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:13 pm

:budgie: :budgie: :budgie:
Last edited by CaitlinRice413 on Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaitlinRice413
Conure

Postby JordanWalker » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:22 am

Great post!
Thanks for the sharing this informative post. I'm glad that I found this topic while browsing for more information about my new pet birds. I thought Parakeet and Budgie are the same. Now I got it that they are not the same.
I am the lead content curator for Coops and Cages as well as a couple of other pet related blogs.
My passion for animals is only matched by my love for 'attempting' to play the guitar.
JordanWalker
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Abyssinian Lovebird

Postby Wolf » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:40 am

Right, all budgies are parakeets, but not all parakeets are budgies.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:51 am

In America, people call the budgie 'parakeet'. So much so that some people don't even know what a budgie is when you talk to them...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

PreviousNext

Return to Parrot Species