Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Cape Parrot peculiarities

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Cape Parrot peculiarities

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:03 pm

Here are some things about Scotty that surprised us, or which seem quite unique to Cape (Uncape, Brown Necked, Grey Headed....) Parrots. I'm wondering if other owners of these guys, such few as we are, have noticed the same things or other things.

He uses his tongue CONSTANTLY to explore things and people.
He has a relatively wet mouth and actually drools when he's sleepy/sleeping. (We wonder about feeding chili peppers because his mouth is so moist).
His contact call is this tiny peeping noise which seems out of proportion to his size and general robust appearance.
He never met a nut he didn't like, but fruits and veggies are a hard sell. Except grapes. He loves grapes. He doesn't seem big on wet food. He'll eat banana chips and dried fruit, but not the sticky stuff. He does use his feet a lot to eat with.
Although his beak is impressive, he prefers soft chew toys and likes working on knots in cotton rope. And the plastic connectors on his seed skirt, sigh.
He's not big on bathing (Michael has pointed out most of the African birds come from relatively dry places compared to New World parrots).
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Re: Cape Parrot peculiarities

Postby Michael » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:32 pm

I concur.

Only difference is that Truman gets bored of wood cause it's too soft for him. He prefers plastic cause it presents more of a challenge. Plastic beads, doodads, bottle caps, etc. He destroys them in no time. It's like the wood is so easy that he doesn't even wanna bother!

Oh and when he screams.... he is loud! Not only does he spend more time making noise than Kili but the volume is definitely a good deal more intense.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:07 pm

Scotty likes plastic, too. I'm not as excited about it, but I think I need to procure some more plastic toy parts. He also likes chewing on the aluminum cage bars, probably because it irritates us... he doesn't go thorugh chew toys very fast though. I just made him a new one, and I think he is more interested in trying to undo the knots in the ropes. He does love his leather-lace chew toy, though.

Does Truman have a scent? Bill and I are arguing over weather Scotty smells more like ramen noodles or arthichokes! It's a very faint odor, but compared to Scooter, quite distinct. Scooter smells like old books when he is wet, but is pretty much unscented when dry.
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

(Un)Cape Parrot

Postby Michael » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:19 pm

Yeah, Cape parrot is pretty smelly. I don't know if it has anything to do with his diet but I don't think so cause Kili eats the same thing now. It might have more to do with Truman stepping in his own doodoo all the time and smelling like that.
Michael
Macaw

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:11 pm

Actually, I think Scotty smells rather good. He is inclined to step in poop, but that's not what he smells of. I rather think it's his beak that has an odor, but not a spoiled/yeasty one... like Ramen noodles before you add the seasoning. Really.
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

(Un)Cape Parrot

Postby Natacha » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:58 am

Michael wrote:Only difference is that Truman gets bored of wood cause it's too soft for him. He prefers plastic cause it presents more of a challenge. Plastic beads, doodads, bottle caps, etc. He destroys them in no time. It's like the wood is so easy that he doesn't even wanna bother!

Have you tried giving him harder wood pieces?
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby Michael » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:05 am

Yup, he seems to like plastic better still. He'll take a couple bites out of the harder wood but then go back to chewing plastic. The harder woods tends to come in blocks which I think is less exciting for them to chew. The softer wood usually has more shape to it as does the plastic. I only give him soft wood as a treat now cause he goes through it like paper.
Michael
Macaw

Return to Parrot Species