Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Brown Headed VS Meyers

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Brown Headed VS Meyers

Postby Jholt11 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:29 am

Hello,

I am considering a brown headed parrot. I'm looking for a small parrot that is friendly with all members of the family, including kids ( I understand I have some responsibility here to socialize the bird) one that can learn tricks, may talk, but over all has a very friendly and cuddly disposition. Is the Brown headed a good choice? What about the Meyers? The bird will be alone most of the day, but will get attention in the AM, and in the evening.

I appreciate your responses.

Thanks,

Jeff
Jholt11
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Brown Headed Parrot
Lineolated parakeet
Flight: No

Re: Brown Headed VS Meyers

Postby Natacha » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:32 pm

I don't own a Brown head but I've heard they are very sweet and might fit your family well. I think any small Poi is capable of entertaining itself during the day in a cage if provided with enough stimulation - I'm gone to work during the week and they are most of the time in their cages for 8 straight hours and are fine (mind you I often find a mess related to the destruction of toys which is what they are there for)

Keep in mind that the small Pois aren't known to be the best talkers - some can learn to say a few words but I don't think the majority do.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby lzver » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:26 pm

I don't have experience with Brown Heads and have a little over 24 hours experience with a Meyers parrot.

I have had a Senegal and a Red Belly (all members of the poicephalus family). My Senegal is a very goofy and cuddly bird, but only with me. No one else in my house wants to take the time to work with him, so it will likely stay this way. My Red Belly is an independent bird that prefers to do her own thing as long as she gets her daily dose of head scratches. Both speak ... my Red Belly more than my Senegal.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers
Flight: Yes

Postby Jholt11 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:25 pm

Thank you for the replies. I did get a brown headed parrot today. Very sweet girl (or boy) not sure:) I happened to see her in an ad and the lady had her at a flea market. She is supposed to be about 4 months old, and her cage only had one perch in it with no toys. I just had to take her to get her in a better situation. She has a much larger cage now with lots of toys and things to do. My two linnies are happy in their cage as well. I ordered the training perches from trainedparrot.com and look forward to working with all three on clicker training, however I think I will prefer working with the brown head.

Any thoughts on some names?

Thanks again.

Jeff
Jholt11
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: Brown Headed Parrot
Lineolated parakeet
Flight: No

Return to Parrot Species