Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

JUST LEARNING ABOUT "BIG" BIRDS

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

JUST LEARNING ABOUT "BIG" BIRDS

Postby BROWNBIRD » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:01 am

I HAVE BEEN RESEARCHING BIG PARROTS FOR MONTHS NOW AS I WANT TO MAKE AN INFORMED DECISION BEFORE AQUIRING A LARGER BIRD. DUE TO MY SON AND MYSELF HAVING ASTHMA,....A MACAW WILL BE BEST SUITED FOR OUR FAMILY. I WANTED TO KNOW WHICH OF THE MACAWS SEEM TO HAVE A MORE GENTLE NATURE SUITED FOR 2 OLDER CHILDREN AND 2 SMALL HOUSE DOGS?
BROWNBIRD
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: BLUE QUAKER PARROT
Flight: No

Re: JUST LEARNING ABOUT "BIG" BIRDS

Postby captwest » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:54 am

Any of the larger Macaws can be really great pets if you have the time and patience, Don't know what you can afford,Hyacinths aren't cheap, Scarlets are more reasonable but my first choice would a Green Wing.Great pets ,bueatiful,and reasonably priced. Don't over look Military Macaw not quite as flashy but still a great bird. good luck, Richard PS i would meet as many babies as possible and pick out the sweetest.
captwest
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 40
Types of Birds Owned: Double Yellow Head,Yellow Nape,Orange Wing,and Panama Amazons ,Timneh African Greys, Quakers and Cockatiels

Postby Giantmoa » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:51 pm

you can look into mini-macaws as well. They're a big bird in a smaller package :macaw3:
:gcc: Rainbow
Giantmoa
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure

Postby a.susz » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:38 am

i vote military too, their bites tend to not be so harmful when they go full force, just something to think about. i've seen alot of great blue and golds make great family pets as well. :macaw:
-Annaleza- and--
Peanut , the sennie
Baby, the red belly
Odin, the bronze wing pi
Loki, the bronze wing pi our new addition :)
http://www.annaleza.blogspot.com
a.susz
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal, Red Belly, Bronze Wing Pionus x2
Flight: Yes

Postby sidech » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:30 pm

BROWNBIRD wrote:I HAVE BEEN RESEARCHING BIG PARROTS FOR MONTHS NOW AS I WANT TO MAKE AN INFORMED DECISION BEFORE AQUIRING A LARGER BIRD. DUE TO MY SON AND MYSELF HAVING ASTHMA,....A MACAW WILL BE BEST SUITED FOR OUR FAMILY. I WANTED TO KNOW WHICH OF THE MACAWS SEEM TO HAVE A MORE GENTLE NATURE SUITED FOR 2 OLDER CHILDREN AND 2 SMALL HOUSE DOGS?

I'm just wondering how you make the relation between having asthma and a Macaw being good for your family ? I have asthma myself, and I've had to rehome my beloved bird because I was getting sick to the point of not being able to breathe when I was home...

Do you and your son have asthma as a result of allergies to animals ? If so, please don't think birds don't give allergies, because they do, and the reactions to it can be pretty severe, depending on the person.
sidech
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Red Sided Eclectus

Postby a.susz » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:34 am

sidech wrote:
BROWNBIRD wrote:I HAVE BEEN RESEARCHING BIG PARROTS FOR MONTHS NOW AS I WANT TO MAKE AN INFORMED DECISION BEFORE AQUIRING A LARGER BIRD. DUE TO MY SON AND MYSELF HAVING ASTHMA,....A MACAW WILL BE BEST SUITED FOR OUR FAMILY. I WANTED TO KNOW WHICH OF THE MACAWS SEEM TO HAVE A MORE GENTLE NATURE SUITED FOR 2 OLDER CHILDREN AND 2 SMALL HOUSE DOGS?

I'm just wondering how you make the relation between having asthma and a Macaw being good for your family ? I have asthma myself, and I've had to rehome my beloved bird because I was getting sick to the point of not being able to breathe when I was home...

Do you and your son have asthma as a result of allergies to animals ? If so, please don't think birds don't give allergies, because they do, and the reactions to it can be pretty severe, depending on the person.

i was actually going to come back to this and say the same thing, just because they have the least amount of dander doesn't mean anything, they still will shed their feather sheaths just as often---dont forget they are large as well so the amount will be high as well. even a good air purifier will not eliminate everything, and esp. if you have animal related asthma.
-Annaleza- and--
Peanut , the sennie
Baby, the red belly
Odin, the bronze wing pi
Loki, the bronze wing pi our new addition :)
http://www.annaleza.blogspot.com
a.susz
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal, Red Belly, Bronze Wing Pionus x2

Postby captwest » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:48 am

You really do need to research the health aspect of having a lifelong companion bird such as a macaw, send some time with some babies, and see how it goes, what's your doctor say? Please don't rush into getting a bird. Richard
captwest
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 40
Types of Birds Owned: Double Yellow Head,Yellow Nape,Orange Wing,and Panama Amazons ,Timneh African Greys, Quakers and Cockatiels

Return to Parrot Species