Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Cuddly species of birds

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Cuddly species of birds

Postby jayebird » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:50 pm

So I'm wondering about cuddly birds.

My GCC, Mango, is an absolute cuddle bug. His favorite place is to snuggle under your chin and just floof up and enjoy being scritched and pet and touched all over. I've heard that this kind of cuddliness is common to GCC's in general.

I'm wondering about other cuddly species of parrots? I know that cockatoos are famous for being "velcro birds", but what about others? I know some of you may have an individual experience with a cuddly cockatiel and if you're wonderful at hand-taming a bird you can develop a lovely physical relationship, but I'm wondering more about species-wide tendencies toward loving human physical contact...
"Mango" ~ Green Cheek Conure
jayebird
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
Flight: No

Re: Cuddly species of birds

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:01 pm

Scotty, our :cape: is fairly cuddly, especially with me. Unfortunately, I can't indulge that as much as I'd like because 1) he's my husband's bird and I don't want to encourage him too much and 2) he is wont to try to "feed" me if I handle him too much. But he likes to snuggle under my chin, or sit on my shoulder and hide in my hair.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
(Un)Cape Parrot

Postby zazanomore » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:31 pm

My cockatiel is extremely cuddly. :greycockatiel:
Bonnie - :budgie2:
Clyde - :budgie:
Einstein - :greycockatiel:
Alyssa - :thumbsup:
zazanomore
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Budgies
Flight: Yes

Postby Giantmoa » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:26 pm

I have to agree, my gcc is a total cuddle bug. Way more than my tiel was! though my cockatiel was a sucker for headscrathes she wouldn't cuddle up into the palm of my hand or lay upside down like rainbow does
:gcc:
:gcc: Rainbow
Giantmoa
Poicephalus

Postby caseymayyne » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:56 pm

I know that cockatiels are supposed to be generally very cuddly. I have a lovebird, and he doesn't leave my side. He loves to cuddle. He snuggles under my neck and just chills with me. But I don't think that that behavior is typical of his breed. I was told that Meyer's Parrots are pretty cuddly as well, but I don't know how true that is, having no experience with the breed.
caseymayyne
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: Love Bird, Cockatiel

Postby MandyG » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:19 am

My Gold Capped Conure is very cuddly (maybe it's just a Conure thing?). She'll snuggle in wherever
she can and seems to be happiest when she's cuddling! I like it, but at the same time it's nearly impossible to convince her to be off doing her own thing, she's happiest being on me. She reminds me of a tiny loud puppy lol.

My Amazon likes to be pet and on rare occassions (about half a dozen times in 2 years) he will perch on my arm close to my chest and nuzzle up while he gets scritches, but he quickly has enough. He loves interacting with me and getting pet but he's definitely not a cuddly bird.
MandyG
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby Kirsten » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:11 am

My Sun Conure is more cuddly when she's tired. In the beginning of the day she'll ride around on my shoulder and look for something on me to play with. But when she gets tired, she'll cuddle up in my arms or in my neck and chew on her foot a little before taking a nap.
Kirsten
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Sun Conure

Postby TheNzJessie » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:20 am

my rainbow lorikeet is very cuddly he will fal asleep on his back cradels in my arm or on my lap, he also thinks hes an acrobat
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie

Postby captwest » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:40 pm

I have to defend the amazons, my "jake " and my wife's "stacy" are both hen Yellow Napes that are as cuddly as any Tiel or Conure, Jake will even sleep under my chin while i watch TV, she seems to enjoy resting against me and having my breath exheld on her.
captwest
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 40
Types of Birds Owned: Double Yellow Head,Yellow Nape,Orange Wing,and Panama Amazons ,Timneh African Greys, Quakers and Cockatiels

Postby zazanomore » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:50 pm

Kirsten wrote:My Sun Conure is more cuddly when she's tired. In the beginning of the day she'll ride around on my shoulder and look for something on me to play with. But when she gets tired, she'll cuddle up in my arms or in my neck and chew on her foot a little before taking a nap.

Einstein is definitely not cuddly when he gets tired. He's my grumpy old man, and about 9:30, 10:00 he lets me know he wants to be put to sleep. :P
Bonnie - :budgie2:
Clyde - :budgie:
Einstein - :greycockatiel:
Alyssa - :thumbsup:
zazanomore
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Budgies

Next

Return to Parrot Species