Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Cuddly species of birds

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Re: Cuddly species of birds

Postby Dave & Karen » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:53 am

Out of all the birds we have, I think our parrotlet and cockatiel are the most cuddly, but with that being said, both our sun and green cheek conures are very cuddly, so is our DYH Amazon. We also have a quaker that loves to cuddle too.
The smaller birds like to cuddle in our hair while perching on our shoulder but Koolaid, our sun conure loves to go under the covers, cling to a shirt, and go to sleep while I watch tv.
A lot of it depends on the individual bird probably more than even the species of parrot, but in general, from my personal experience I'd say if you want a seriously cuddly bird, the parrotlets, conures, or cockatiels won't disapoint you.
Dave & Karen
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 11
Types of Birds Owned: Pacific Parrotlet
Lovebird
Sun Conure
Green Cheek Conure
Indian Ringneck
2 Quakers
DYH Amazon
Cockatiel
2 Budgeis
Flight: Yes

Postby Rebellious » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:49 pm

My SCC :cockatoo: Rebel is as cuddly as a dog. Probably because she's a cockatoo and they're supposed to be really cuddly. She'll crawl underneath your jacket and poke her lil head out.
:senegal: Sissy
:senegal: Sammi
:cockatoo: Rebel
Rebellious
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrots, Sulfur Crested cockatoo

Postby Kayleigh89 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:22 pm

My senegal is a LOVE SPONGE, Bix will refuse to get off my shoulder (the rare time I allow it, I have piercings and don't want to tempt him), chest, arm etc. He is very, very cuddly. To the point he will climb to the ground, cross a room, and climb up my pant leg to cuddle. Compared to the Budgie I had as a kid, my senegal is far more cuddly.
Bixlow :senegal:
Kayleigh89
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Flight: No

Postby Rosemary522 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:38 am

My pacific parrotlet loved to cuddle. He would sleep in hair or in shirts, and he always wanted to be on my shoulder.

My GCC isn't as cuddly. She does a bit if she's sleepy, but she likes her space for the most part.
-Rosemary :D and Mint :gcc:
Rosemary522
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure

Postby Pajarita » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:55 am

That's strange because, in my personal experience, GCCs are super cuddly (they love going to sleep leaning against one's neck, burrow under one's clothes and, if you have long hair and they can get under it, better still :lol: )
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby beakycheekie » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:52 pm

I'm so jealous of all of you. None of my 7 birds are cuddly. The 4 budgies are not hand-tame but I've been told that's my own fault for having a flock which bonds to each other and not their person(it's not a big deal, I love watching them, they are so entertaining and they love each other). None of my 3 tiels enjoy being petted. They like to sit on me but don't want me to pet them. It makes me sad because my elderly cockatiel Bobbie Jo, who passed away a couple of months ago, absolutely loved head scritches and I loved being able to have that physical interaction with her. My elderly tiel Herman was an aviary breeder bird and so didn't receive much contact with his person so he's very scared of hands. Kiwi my 6 month old was hand fed by her breeder and while she's super friendly and loves people, for some reason she's afraid of my hands?? My newest tiel Peaches I just adopted last weekend and so I can't expect her to be bonded to me yet but she also seems very afraid of my hands.
I just wish I had a snuggly bird to love on :(
“For me, the sight of a parrot living alone, living in a cage, deprived of flight, miserably bored, breaks my heart. And the parrot’s too, perhaps.”

— Jane Goodall
beakycheekie
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: Budgies
Cockatiels

Postby Wolf » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:41 pm

Budgies and cockatiel are not generally known to be all that cuddley, but to a large degree it also depends on the amount of time that you spend with them as well as their own nature. Even with the least cuddley of them there will be some that respond more than others to being cuddled.

Grey parrots are not cuddlers, even with their own species and while my Grey, Kookooloo, doesn't do much of that she wants to spend nearly all of her time with me either very close by or on me and she is always getting beak rubs, although they are short ones and she really does like getting head and neck scratches and she asks for several of them every day.

In many respects I think that being cuddley is not really good for most birds as their human generally take it to mean that they can just pet the entire bird which is not good because it gets them sexually excited.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:32 pm

Yes, that is so true. Even I have to stop myself from hugging my cockatoos -and I know VERY well that's a no-no!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby seagoatdeb » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:52 pm

My Red Belly female is more of a mushy, than a cuddly. When she is in the mood, she will sit on my shoulder for long periods of time talking sweet talk in human words, and wanting her head scratched. When she is really really mushy, several times a week she will put her beak on my chin and sit there while i gently scratch her head. She has always been this way.

When she is more playfull she will do a kind of play fight with me where she beaks me gently and swings herself over hanging upside down and keeps right on playing and flipping herself all over the place, being so confident I will never drop her. I never have but sometimes I feel like I am scrambling when she suddenly will flip over with no warning.

My Meyers likes his head scratched and often. He likes to preen me too. He is always ready for attention when you aproach him though, but when he is feeling aloof he will only stay with you for a few minutes and then off he is to play independantly or flock with Gaugan. He is liking doing a play fighting like Gauagan does, but he does not like flipping all over like she does and he always looks at the way she does that as "strange"......lol...going from the way he is looking when she is doing that. He is not exactly cuddly but he can show affection, and gives sweet little chirps when he preens me at times.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Postby Wolf » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:17 pm

I could not call Kiki, Senegal cuddly, but she really enjoys perching on me and talking to me and getting her head scratched and it seems that her favorite thing is to have her beak scratched or to beak between my thumb and forefinger. She never bites although she does hold my finger now and then while she is working her beak open and closed between thumb and finger.

Kookooloo, Grey, is not a cuddly bird either and really is not into being touched very much at all, lately she has been liking to be flipped over and play fighting for just a minute. It is a new thing with her.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

PreviousNext

Return to Parrot Species