Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Thoughts on a new bird

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Thoughts on a new bird

Postby Munchy » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:47 am

Sometimes I think about getting Disney a parrot friend. If so it will be at least another year or so, after our boarder moves out. Disney seems very happy as he is always playing but I think he should have bird company, although probably not necessary. Plus I don't want to take time away from him. a lot to think about and a lot of time to do it.
But If I do go that route I am thinking between a Hans Macaw, another conure; Cherry Head or Gold Cap, or a Pionus; bronze wing or white front.
I don't want any bird that could threaten Disney like a Senegal. I've read they can kill conures. Is the best bird I can get for Disney another conure? Maybe I should get another Half Moon. Just thoughts and a very long time to figure it out.
Munchy
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Half Moon Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: Thoughts on a new bird

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:40 pm

Look around for similar threads, there have been a few discussions along these lines. The bottom line is that whatever bird you decide to get may or may not get along with Disney. He may (or may not) be happier having another (separately caged) bird around when you are gone even if they don't get along. If they are flighted, they may or may not have to be allowed out of cage time separately. IMO it is kind of a mixed bag for the bird... I'd vote for making the decision based on how much YOU would enjoy a second bird!
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Postby Cozzy » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:33 pm

When considering to add another bird, you have think like they can't get alone with the old birds. However, even they live in seprate cages they do have some flock dynamic. Just like my birds, due to the size differnt the :budgie: never have chance to play with the :cape:, but they do call each other in the thier own cage.

I reckon another conure would be cool, what about a green cheek conure.
Cozzy
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Budgie
cape

Postby a.susz » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:56 pm

Munchy wrote: Hans Macaw, another conure; Cherry Head or Gold Cap, or a Pionus; bronze wing or white front.

1. All Hahn's i have seen are VERY center of attention birds. just sayin'.

2. Cherry heads--LOUD. if you can deal with the noise they are AWESOME though. size wise with a half moon though, these are a lot bigger.

3. Gold Cap- About the same as a cherry head, but slightly smaller in size.

4. Pionus--Amazing, and great at doing their own thing. Probably not a good playmate. very quiet, good birds. I have a bronze wing so i know from experience, he likes one on one time, and can totally do his own thing(eat, forage, nap, play) without needing interaction. Also totally could care less about the other birds. Even had him meet and greet other pionus, totally did nothing.

Cant say much about conures for neediness, only had experience with a nanday for a year, and he was pretty good about entertaining himself, but also interacted well with my Senegal, even on each others cages.

Go with the bird choices that you have locally(try not to ship, i am personally against it) and go from there. Pick the bird that really stands out to you, and you feel would fit in with your family dynamic the best. good luck with your choice!
-Annaleza- and--
Peanut , the sennie
Baby, the red belly
Odin, the bronze wing pi
Loki, the bronze wing pi our new addition :)
http://www.annaleza.blogspot.com
a.susz
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal, Red Belly, Bronze Wing Pionus x2

Return to Parrot Species