Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

How do Alexandrine Parakeets get along with other birds?

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

How do Alexandrine Parakeets get along with other birds?

Postby DevinsWifey » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:28 pm

I have a male Alexandrine parakeet named Mitu, bout him when he was a week old and have had him for about 6 years, and he's my only parrot. Lately we have thought about getting him a birdie companion, quite possibly a plumheaded parakeet to keep him company. He rarely bites humans viciously, but has never really come in contact with other birds so I am uncertain of how he will react if I bring home a companion of another species. Are Alexandrines generally nice towards other species?
DevinsWifey
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Alexandrine Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: How do Alexandrine Parakeets get along with other birds?

Postby Michael » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:36 pm

Honestly I do not know anything about the specifics of Alexandrine Parakeets, however, I've been doing a lot of research about parrot imprinting so I might be able to give a broad perspective (species independent). You had the parakeet since it was one week old so clearly it is completely imprinted on humans. Furthermore, it had never been in contact with other birds. Now you are thinking of bringing another bird in to be it's "companion" but the Alexandrine wouldn't see it that way. Remember that the Alexandrine is imprinted on you and only thinks of you as a companion. The new bird would only be competition for attention from you which can lead to jealousy, rivalry, and fighting. It is my strong opinion that no one should ever by another parrot as a companion for a hand raised companion parrot. Only acquire additional parrots if they are going to be a companion to YOU.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Return to Parrot Species