Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Starting to think 2nd bird...

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Starting to think 2nd bird...

Postby Chris&Akilah » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:52 pm

Well, at first I decided I would be a one-bird person forever. But of course that was before I realized how much fun they are. Single-bird owners seem to be the minority across the web, and I understand that while some birds may never be buddies, just having other birds nearby to "talk" to can be comforting. But, I always want Akilah to be my 'main' companion parrot. As in, I only want one parrot who considers me it's mate. Ideally, the second bird would be content to hang out, play, and train but not be especially cuddly or physically interactive. The species which don't form pair-bonds sound like they might be what I'm looking for. I'm greatly attracted to the Eclectus, especially females. Maybe even a bonded pair of some sort of 'keet or small parrot. I would prefer a bird that could come out for playtime though, not "look only" birds like finches and doves. If the new bird never became buddies with Akilah, I could deal with it, but they'd have to be able to coexist in the same room at least (seperate cagees of course). So, what species do you all suggest I look into?
Chris&Akilah
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Flight: No

Re: Starting to think 2nd bird...

Postby zazanomore » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:50 pm

How about buying a pair of hand raised budgies? I bought my budgies from a pet store, so they had never been tamed. Over time, they've began tolerating me, and they will do the simplest commands like step up, and I can get them to hit a target.

My Einstein is my companion, while Bonnie and Clyde are bonded to each other.

I think having a pair of hand raised budgies would be great. They would come already tame, and with daily interaction, they should remain tame.

I wouldn't mix them with your sennie though, as there is a size difference.

They are really playful birds, and can be taught a number of tricks.
Bonnie - :budgie2:
Clyde - :budgie:
Einstein - :greycockatiel:
Alyssa - :thumbsup:
zazanomore
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Budgies
Flight: Yes

Postby iknowwhatiknow » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:15 pm

I was going to add something, but I agree entirely with the comment above. Bonded budgies sound like a great idea.
"If I think I can figure things out, is that curiosity or arrogance? I know what I know." - Topher Brink, Dollhouse.
iknowwhatiknow
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Cinnamon Green Cheek Conure

Postby TheNzJessie » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:08 am

it sounds like a pair of budgies is what you are looking for. like what zaznomore said. getting one would be unkind as they are flock birds but if you get 2 hand raised it should be perfect for what you are looking for. but 2 unrelated would work better (i think) im no breeder
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie

Postby iknowwhatiknow » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:16 am

My brother had two (male) budgie siblings when he was a kid. We never had any problems with them. I can't comment in general though. No mating issues then.
"If I think I can figure things out, is that curiosity or arrogance? I know what I know." - Topher Brink, Dollhouse.
iknowwhatiknow
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Cinnamon Green Cheek Conure

Postby pirategene » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:37 am

Hi
Cleaning-up after one bird or many birds is still the same. Just be careful what bird you add because some of them have dander, etc. and can affect other birds. Sometimes getting two birds at one time can cause the birds to "pal" together and kinda not pay attention to you. Have fun searching, I wish I could get another :macaw:
pirategene and tambo
pirategene
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: Blue & Gold Macaw

Postby Chris&Akilah » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:57 pm

I do like the "English Budgies", despite the shorter life-span they seem to make great pets. We had a blue one when I was very young, named Mickey. But, I'm not too fond of the fact that budgies make noise almost all day, albeit quiet noise. I find the occasional loud noise less disturbing than constant chriping, which is what a happy budgie seems to do. Spending some more time in the bird store helped. I think I may put this off for quite some time, but its still fun to think about. Thanks for the replies.
Chris&Akilah
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot

Postby TheNzJessie » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:17 am

hmm i have to agree budgies are very chirpy. i have no experience with the noise level of lovebirds but i heard they are more quiet than budgies.
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie

Postby zazanomore » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:28 am

My budgies have their moments, but really, the amount of noise isn't that bad.

Also, the busier you keep them, the quieter they will be.
Bonnie - :budgie2:
Clyde - :budgie:
Einstein - :greycockatiel:
Alyssa - :thumbsup:
zazanomore
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Budgies

Postby Giantmoa » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:00 pm

you can also look into indian ringneck parakeets, just as another species to consider. I don't know about their noise level but they aren't supposed to be clingy birds.
:gcc: Rainbow
Giantmoa
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure

Next

Return to Parrot Species