Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

senegal vs budgie

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

senegal vs budgie

Postby edita_sf » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:40 pm

Hey guys,
I was hoping you could help with some questions I have.

I can't decide between budgie and senegal. What I want from my bird is to be sweet, apartment suitable, cuddly , and most imoprtantly talk.
My 1st budgie, Chiki, was an awesome keet. Sweet, affectionate, knew 70 words. He thought he was a human being. When he passed away after 9 years, I got another budgie, Sydney, and I was hoping to teach him talk. I had Sydney for 6 months(got him when he was 4-6 months) - he never really bonded with me, seems like didn't really wanna hang out with me, bit me sometimes, and never learnt to talk(I put even more effort to teach him than with Chiki). Then Sydney flew away. (I should have clipped his feathers)

NOw I want to get something as close to budgie as possible, with longer lifespan, talking ability(I will put in time!!!), and sweetness. I want to hang out with the bird and feel he loves me back. But I am a litle nervous about poop size of senegal. IS the poop a lot bigger? Is the senegal a lot messier? If I put in time - will he talk? How do I determine a baby-senegal that will potentially talk? Or should I jjust stick to a budge?

And 2 last questions:
At a local pet shop "Crazy bird" in San Diego, CA I met today Kiwi - very sweet senegal. He's 2 years old, loved me and my boyfriend, he bowed his head so we can pet him!!! He does funny noises, but doesn't really talk. I really liked him, but I am still debating btw a baby-senegal or 2 year old senegal OR budgie

Isn't it true that I should get a young baby-bird so I will teach him talk and bond with him? I am afraid this cute cuddly 2-year old Senegal will continue with noises, not words. I WILL put in time to teach. Or it doesn't matter? Some ppl say that if I buy a baby-senegal, I don't know what personality I am getting - might be not cuddly... Should I risk to get a 2-year old bird?

Thank you in advance.
:senegal: :budgie:
edita_sf
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: parakeets
Flight: Yes

Re: senegal vs budgie

Postby Michael » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:08 pm

edita_sf wrote:I can't decide between budgie and senegal. What I want from my bird is to be sweet, apartment suitable, cuddly , and most imoprtantly talk.

That's a pretty big difference not only in size but also price, intelligence, demands, time, etc. Big difference. Senegals aren't guaranteed talkers but neither are budgies. Budgies probably have the potential to say more words than Senegals but if a Senegal talks I think they say it clearer. I would not use talking ability as a primary factor for choosing a parrot though because none of them are guaranteed to talk. There are just some species that tend to talk and others that don't. BTW for budgies, I think only the males become good talkers but with Senegals it doesn't matter.

Then Sydney flew away. (I should have clipped his feathers)

No, you shouldn't have clipped his wings. Birds have wings for a reason. You should have been more careful and configured your home to be bird safe if this were a concern.

But I am a litle nervous about poop size of senegal. IS the poop a lot bigger? Is the senegal a lot messier? If I put in time - will he talk? How do I determine a baby-senegal that will potentially talk? Or should I jjust stick to a budge?

Senegal poop is definitely bigger. While they can drop a ginormous mud monkey on occasion, normally it isn't too much of a problem. Whatever is in the cage, tree, or playstand, you just change the newspapers. If it gets on your clothes, floor, furniture, etc, the good news is that most of it will come off with water or soap/water. The poop is definitely wetter than from a budgie so it is messier. Budgies drop more like a dry pellet that you can just pickup with a paper towel. Senegal poop kind of gets into soft things and smudges when you wipe it.

Isn't it true that I should get a young baby-bird so I will teach him talk and bond with him? I am afraid this cute cuddly 2-year old Senegal will continue with noises, not words. I WILL put in time to teach. Or it doesn't matter? Some ppl say that if I buy a baby-senegal, I don't know what personality I am getting - might be not cuddly... Should I risk to get a 2-year old bird?

If you are really set on a talking parrot, forget Senegal. They are shy and unreliable talkers. There are no guarantees. They love mimicking noises. The talking really varies. Mona might be able to let you know how many have her 3 Senegals talk. But really, Senegals aren't the best talkers. Some can be really good and others not so good. It's not a wonder they are known for being quiet apartment birds. Mine is fantastic at doing tricks but so-so on talking. In 1.5 years I've had Kili, she learned 20+ tricks and about 5 specific words/sounds. It was easy to put "hello" on cue though because she was so well trick trained and understands training concept though.

Budgies aren't guaranteed talkers either though. I really think there is a risk of being disappointed either way you go. You are going to have to weigh other things you look for in a parrot besides just talking. It's hit or miss when it comes to talking and depends almost as much on personality as it does on environment.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby pchela » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:53 am

You can never buy a bird because you want it to talk. It's a horrible reason to buy a bird because many never talk, even if their species is known for talking. There are plenty of African Greys who do not talk. People with this as a main priority are often disappointed and ultimately end up getting rid of the bird because it didn't live up to their expectations. All you can do is increase your chances of a bird talking by buying a species that is known to talk. That said, Senegals are not great talkers as Micheal said. Male budgies on the other hand are in the top 5 list of talking birds. African Greys, Quaker Parrots (aka Monk Parakeets) and some type of amazons are in the top 5 along with the budgie.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby Michael » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:33 am

But remember that is the top 5 based on record holders for number of words and whatnot, doesn't mean every individual from that species will talk. But Pchela is right. A monk parakeet could be a good compromise between Senegal Parrot in budgie in terms of being a little bigger, longer life, etc while being known to be a potentially good talker.
Michael
Macaw

Postby edita_sf » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:39 pm

Thank you very much for all this helpful info. I have a lot to think about now. And I feel ashamed that I was shoosing a bird for it's talking ability... I can see how some owners can be disappointed if their bird doesn't tlak. I was disappointed that Sydney(budgie) didn't talk, but I never even thought about giving him back - he was MY cute bird!

I was so upset about my budgie Sydney flying away, I even decided to clip the wings of my next bird. Now I gotta think about that as well. There are a lot of pro and cons... :budgie:

Michael, Quaker(monk keet) is illegal in CA. I have aleready looked into that... But thank you very much for your suggestion.

Anyways, thank you both Michael and Pchela for your ideas. I have to do more research. :senegal: :budgie:
edita_sf
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: parakeets

Postby Kathleen » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:39 pm

From what I've seen, the budgies that do talk (mostly the males) have a squeaky kind of voice, while senegals have sort of a robot kind of voice. Both are small, relatively quiet, and relatively non demanding compared to other parrots. Both can make great pets, talking or not.

You may want to also consider a cockatiel. Good luck with your choice! :mrgreen:
Kathleen
Amazon

Postby Michael » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:26 pm

edita_sf wrote:Michael, Quaker(monk keet) is illegal in CA. I have aleready looked into that... But thank you very much for your suggestion.

Not sure about the specific laws but you may be able to sneak one in from out of state. Some states have a ban on sale of those birds but not necessarily for owning them. Something to look into.
Michael
Macaw

Postby triplebbirds » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:56 pm

I dont suggest smuggling in the state. Depending on the laws and then depending on who finds out. Example, when i sell a baby Quaker i check ID. Pennsylvania, about 40 miles away has very strict laws on Quakers.
Ok that being said.
I highly suggest that you dont get a bird so it will talk to you. 1 it may never talk. 2 most of the time then it would repeat something over and over. Then have you ever argued with a toddler? Magnify this time 100. Then you just had a conversation with a parrot. If you really want one that is going to talk. Buy one that is already talking. Then guess what? it might just quit talking for no reason. Figure out what would be cool about a talking bird? There are lots of things they could learn to say. They really love the things they arent supposed to say. I have types of birds that are not known talkers that dont shut up. I have ones that are known for being talkers that dont hardly talk at all. Go with personality as a trait. Talking birds are cool but in the end its still a bird. If it doesnt talk then its still a bird.

Sorry this is my main thing i get asked with the babies. And constantly try and convince people to adjust their priorities and understand that there are no set bird that will talk. Get the bird that you want. But dont make being a non-talker turn you away from a wonderful bird.
triplebbirds
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 20
Types of Birds Owned: Green cheek conure, sun conure, Quaker parrot, Parrotlet, Cockatiel, Senegal

Postby Cozzy » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:49 pm

Hi first of all both :senegal: and :budgie: are sweet parrots.

When considering getting a new parrot, I always move my hand slowly around the cage and see how the parrot interact with my hand. Some come to you, while some go away. Personally, this is the frist rule to select the parrot.

Both my :senegal: and my gfs :budgie:s were selected by applying this rule.

After confirming the parrot likes you, you have to check condition of the bird, make sure it is a healthy bird. We had bad experience before, brought a unhealthy parrots, which lived a really shot live.

At a local pet shop "Crazy bird" in San Diego, CA I met today Kiwi - very sweet senegal. He's 2 years old, loved me and my boyfriend, he bowed his head so we can pet him!!! He does funny noises, but doesn't really talk. I really liked him, but I am still debating btw a baby-senegal or 2 year old senegal OR budgie

I suggest you to go back to the shop spend some time interact with Kiwi to check how much he likes you, if possilbe ask the shop keeper takes him out of the cage, so that you can have a closer look.

Beside :cockatiel:, you can also consider :lovebird: , which is also a really lovely parrot if hand tamed.

Also, you can join the local parrot group to interact with differnt kind of parrot before getting one.
Cozzy
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Budgie
cape

Postby kenseyz » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:55 pm

i have a quaker parrot, :quaker: who is green and her name is meeko, she is only 8 months old but my older sis got a quaker named freddy, a male, who talk ALL the time, their poop size is small for that its really more liquady, which was a type of yay! for me. i would suggest one cause he lived up to 60 years old because we got him when he was around 50 years old, he really only liked me but never bit at me, ofcourse my sister didnt really knew how to take care of him so he soonly died, but these birds are really affectional. meeko cuddles with me all the time but she would rather get out herself, but i am keeping my cell phone on the whole time while it repeats the things recorded on it, i hope she soon will talk but i suggest u to get a quaker parrot :thumbsup:
kenseyz
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: jamacan yellow ringneck parrot, quaker parrot
Flight: No

Next

Return to Parrot Species